View Single Post
Old 12-12-2019, 01:54 AM   #98
aperson
FFR Hall of Fame
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to aperson
Default Re: F-Scale test and other fun quizzes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashflash account View Post
as far as your infographic, I could get behind like, 60 or even 70% free speech opposition since I'm generally against like slander and hate speech and stuff but
100% is bonkers
you literally are completely opposed to the concept of free speech in any regard, is what that says to me
Yes I find what 100% means there maybe not obvious. I don't think there's any value in free speech for free speech's sake. However, I think we should scrutinize anyone who wants to restrict someone else's free speech extremely closely. Want to silence a book because it speaks bad about the government? Probably not going to stand up to scrutiny. Want to deplatform a nazi coming to speak at a college? Probably going to stand up to scrutiny.

I also don't like maintaining speech rights through laws. Speech acts and our responses are something best buoyed by our social bonds.

Edit: I guess the words from the test clarify it:
Quote:

Free Speech Opposition

The degree to which a person would be okay with shutting down some of their opponent’s views, even if those views are formally protected by free speech (Forscher & Kteily, 2019).
I'm totally fine with shutting down someone's speech if that's what I think should be done after scrutiny. There are a lot of very bad people that hide behind free speech to spew hate.

Last edited by aperson; 12-12-2019 at 02:00 AM..
aperson is offline   Reply With Quote