View Single Post
Old 09-26-2018, 11:21 PM   #4
tosh
O Derby, Where Art Thou?
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: Major update: I have joined a driver’s ed course, not sure where to go from here

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenAshy View Post
There’s only one more question I have to ask: How do you learn how to operate the more complex functions of a car? Like, there’s a million different things on the wheel alone, and the location for activating turn signals and stuff isn’t clearly marked. Is it just something you pick up with practice? Muscle memory?
Turn signals are almost always in the same spot of the steering wheel and are used/operated in the same way. I say almost because there is likely a specific model of car somewhere that is funky about it, but every vehicle I have driven has had it in the same spot and used the same way. For an idea, I have driven various vehicles such as a mid 70s Ford LTD, a '95 Jeep, various pickup trucks, a couple of semi trailer trucks (manual transmission), a farm grade dry fertilizer spreader, and the '07 Toyota Camry I currently drive.

I was lucky in that I grew up in rural Nebraska, so I was able to learn how to drive on dirt roads when I was 13-14. You don't necessarily have the luxury of that with where you currently live. All I can really say is pay attention to the drivers ed course enough to get you through it, but a lot of your learning how to drive just comes from practice behind the wheel. It eventually becomes muscle memory.

Last edited by tosh; 09-26-2018 at 11:27 PM..
tosh is offline   Reply With Quote