View Single Post
Old 09-25-2018, 01:42 PM   #140
the sun fan
FFR Player

Default Re: VISA/Mastercard blocks payment to Horowitz Center because of SPLC

lmao, regardless of what you believe the consequences of free speech are, someone is definitely NOT allowed to say "Hey I don't like this [person, family or group of people]. Here is their address, go bother them if you like me."

That's not a fucking consequence of free speech. Its despicable is what it is.

He's not allowed to say that as "free speech."

Like it or not, corporations are allowed to deny someone service for any reason or no reason at all. Like devonin said, any corporation that denies Alex Jones or any person/group of people service because they don't like his/her/their ideas can currently do so in the United States. That's how it is currently.

They, however, are NOT stripping him of his freedom of speech. Again, like devonin said, no one is saying that Alex Jones cannot and should not be able to say pretty much whatever he wants in America. But a corporation, using the very same right to freedom of speech, is allowed to say that they do not wish to provides services to someone for their opinions. Whether it is broadcasted to millions of people or shouted at people passing through an intersection off a highway exit, he is still allowed to say whatever the hell he wants. He just is being denied service as a result of the decision of corporations.

If you don't like it, do what you've done here. Talk about it. Make these corporations come to regret their decision by talking with your wallets. That's how this nation works, again, like it or not. That will get Visa/whoever else to change their minds, be it about Alex Jones or the Horowitz Center or the estate of Phyllis Schlafly.

But do me and every other reasonable person a favor and don't accept what Alex Jones said as a necessary cost of freedom of speech. Its not ok what he has spaid wrt harassing families of Sandy Hook victims.

No one is saying don't punish the people threatening these families. From what I understand, at least one person has been punished. But you cannot seriously begin to tell me that these families would be harassed without Alex Jones telling them to go harass these families.

If I convince you to steal a car, I am partially responsible for that car being stolen, both ethically and wrt the law. That car would not have been stolen without me convincing you to steal it.

The Rwandan genocide wouldn't have happened (at least, to the extent that lives were lost, I accept and acknowledge that this is complicated and that I am simplifying it down here) without radio stations in Rwanda (and I think also in surrounding countries but I'm not sure and I rarely look things up when making posts because laziness) talking about the "Tutsi cockroaches polluting the nation." Many of the people in charge or running these radio stations, or in charge of broadcasting, were charged with crimes against humanity afterwords, I believe.

Hundreds of thousands of people might be alive if not for those broadcasts.

I understand that the comparison here is a little bit grave. I do not mean to directly compare these two beyond showing how something that someone/a group of people said can lead to horrible tragedy.

What Alex Jones has advocated is, in my opinion, despicable. It is a crime not directly comparable to incitation of genocide, but it is horrible. People are being harassed because some dumbfuck hopelessly delusional people believe that the families of the victims of Sandy Hook are crisis actors. You will never, ever be able to convince me that these people, who have had to move something like over 5 times since 2014 due to harassment in one instance, should suffer just so Alex Jones can continue to advocate that they be harassed because of his... knowingly false accusation that the incident in question did not actually happen. Its not ok. That's not what freedom of speech is about.

FFR is a pretty good place somehow.
the sun fan is offline   Reply With Quote