View Single Post
Old 06-11-2017, 06:06 PM   #14
the sun fan
FFR Player

Default Re: jTWG LXXI I Got Nothin' Postgame Thread

Sanzath- Pretty sick wolf play. I agree with the assessment that it was pretty tough to pair you with andy based on how the situation unfolded. Very level-headed posting throughout, and I think that your posts had a pretty relaxed feel to them once it got down to final three. I rarely, rarely praise voting for a wolf partner unless you have no other choice, but I think this situation is an exception because it was a game-winning play. I think the praise here is deserved. The discussions we had about TWG in wolfchat show that you're a smart player, and I definitely look forward to seeing you in future games. There's not a lot for me to criticize here; I think all the nightkills were correct; Xiz is fine because he's sometimes a power role and you get the strongest player out of the game, after that, it was basically mechanics. I'd be interested to see whether or not you were right about Sven laying a trap for you, because I think you were actually off-base about that, I think he just thought you were town.

Hateandhatred- I was pretty surprised by how you played this game. I mean, Sven plans (TM) aside and all, most of which were pretty not-great, and will never work on anyone but a new player, the subtle stuff you were doing, like trying to trick and trap people into corners was much higher level gameplay than I was expecting from you. I cannot compliment lynching a player because you think it would be funny, though. The track on Haku is fine, you thought he was being weird, something everyone from Quebec seemed to think. The track on Wayward Vagabond, I was really surprised by, because its not something that most new players realize, but even though you gain almost no information from that track, its still more than you would gain from literally all other tracks, so it is the best. All in all, I was pleasantly surprised by the way you approached this game... most of the time. I almost vomited when I saw you proposing an all-Quebec alliance. Plz don't do that again.

OpKiller- Mostly said my thoughts about the suicide at the end, so I want to focus on the other aspects. You had the read on Sanzath, for a while actually, that he was a wolf. When in final five, letting the confirmed town in hateandhatred decide the lynch is a situationally correct play, it really depends on whether or not the confirmed town wants to make the lynch or not. Clearly, he wanted it, so I don't really think its your fault that tiloco got lynched there. So, final three. You were constantly confused by Hakulyte throughout the entire game, and final three was no exception. I can say this here for the most part, but this really is standard Hakulyte play, every time he was saying that "this is what I do when I am town," I believe he was telling the truth every time. Now, I say this not to say "You were wrong," but so you can understand that Hakulyte when he is playing TWG is basically a crazy person. Its very hard to understand where he is coming from for anyone in the game with him. This really is the time where you need to both break out why you thought Sanzath is a wolf, as well as why you Hakulyte should be reading you town. I think you did the second about as well as you could've given the situation, and I'm not even sure Haku would've cared about the first, but it is something that you need to try and do in a final three situation. It probably feels like I'm being hard on you with this writeup, and maybe its true, but I see potential within you. The read you made on andy/Sanzath being the wolf team was right for the right reasons, and you made it very, very quickly. That was a tough read to get to, and you should be proud of that. Take that from this game, take is with the bad of course, but you really should be proud of how you made that read.

Rapta- Life happens. 'Nuff said. Play outside of that was pretty standard; short questions where you wanted them to be. I think what it came down to was you just weren't active enough to maintain the level of towniness you achieved early-game, and again, that happens.

tiloco- Not much to say, not much you could've done. Made it clear where you stood and took the lynch.

WV- Good watch on Haku for the reasons I said earlier, sorry I fucked up that result. Interesting to see you take on the mould of one of the more experienced players in a game, and I think you wore it well. Not much to criticize here, I think the watch on OpKiller is probably worse than a watch on Sven, but it didn't really matter at that point.

Hakulyte- I've said most of it already. I do want to praise you for not posting insanely often like I know you're capable of in a jTWG game, because it really would be too much for a game like this. I think this style suits you. I get a decision in f3 being hard, and I want to say that I think its the right thing to do to interact with the players in f3 as much as you feel like you need to... up to a point. If you keep reaction testing people like this, you can end up pushing them too far. You have to remember what kind of game is being played here; a mental one. You really can make people just lose their minds for a little bit, and I think that's kind of what happened when after all that interaction, all the reaction tests, all the rereading the thread, you decided to leave it up to random.org. You just can't do that to a player and have them be ok with it. I hate saying how I would've felt in certain game situations, because I am not the "every-man" so to speak, but I really would've been livid if I saw you say that in a final three I was in. Aside from that, your reads, even when they were right, had, at best, questionable reasoning. Thinking Sanzath was a wolf because he appeared to be town is... nonsensical at best. I think when you're making reads like that, you're making what is, essentially, the worst kind of read you can have. AA is right that Op, at the end mainly, did have some very emotionally appealing posts that very, very, very rarely come from a new wolf trying to win, and I think you should revisit them, as well as some of the reads you made late-game. Also, when there was a counterclaim, you are one of the more, if not the, most experienced player left in the game, and there wasn't really a clear sense of what people needed to do (though they mostly figured it out), and I think that that is the situation where you need to step up and explain what needs to be done.

Andy- Ballsy counterclaim. I think its not the best idea, if it works, its beautiful, but I don't really think either you or Sanzath was high on the chopping block that day, and that a town probably eats the lynch. It really backfired as a result. I think the early-game discussion in wolfchat between you and Sven was mostly on point, so good job there. The Xiz kill was a pretty good kill if you're not going to try to kill a power role.

Xel- I think your style was too overbearing to new players. When new players see someone calling them idiots and such, what's really the best thing that's going to come from that for you? Basically what happened its what's going to happen almost all of the time.

Xiz- U suck <3. Thanks for not taking over the game I guess??? You were never going to do it anyways. I don't really know if I agree with voting Xel, but w/e.

FFR is a pretty good place somehow.
the sun fan is offline   Reply With Quote