Thread: Zelda BotW
View Single Post
Old 04-4-2017, 06:44 PM   #16
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Default Re: Zelda BotW

So I got the Switch + game today and finally had a chance to play it.

Thoughts on the Switch:

-The little handheld controls by themselves suck. My hands hurt after only using them for a few minutes. I don't know if this is because of my past wrist strain or just having generally larger hands, but these things were awkward. There is a little controller mold thing you can slide the controllers into so you can basically Megazord your way to a functional controller, but I think at some point I'm just going to get the Pro controller or whatever it's called. I feel like these little handhelds are just full of buttons everywhere, and I don't really understand how you're supposed to slide them in and out without hitting other buttons given such limited surface area for grabbing. You're supposed to press these little nub-buttons in the back as you're doing this, but I can barely feel them click in, and at this point my hands are already in an awkward position and I have a tough time grabbing the rest of the controller to actually do the sliding. Maybe I just suck. But whatever, all this tells me is that I need to keep the damn things on the Switch and spring for a better controller.

-There are two wrist-strap things you can connect to the controllers as well. I couldn't get them off. Figuring I was an idiot, I Googled online instructions and followed them exactly... and the attachments still didn't come off. Turns out I had attached them backwards or in reverse or something, and it's apparently a common issue. I didn't even see the plus and minus symbols. You can very easily attach these things the wrong way and they don't give much more resistance than when you attach them correctly. The only way to get them off at that point is to tear them away with an uncomfortable amount of force and hope you don't break anything.

-Setup was easy, UI was pretty, all good there.

Thoughts on BOTW:

Haven't put much time into it yet, but man do I feel like a grumpy old guy or something.

-I don't like that there are audible voices. This really, really, really bothers me for some reason. I loved OoT because everyone was silent (outside of occasional laughs, grunts, shrieks, yells, etc) and there was a major focus on things like ambience and music as a result. So far the only voice I've heard is from whoever is guiding you out of that initial cave or whatever, but I am hoping that's the end of that.

-The weapon system is balls. With any luck, it'll get easier with time. Constantly needing to re-equip weapons because they break really interrupts the flow of combat.

-However I like that there's a huge-ass world, as it's certainly going to be chock-full of secrets. Secret-finding is one of my favorite things to do in games, because it forces me to really explore a game for all it has to offer.

That's all I'm really willing to say at the moment because I haven't played much to get a fully fleshed-out opinion, but so far there have been a number of minuses right out of the gate. Hopefully these things either become easier to handle or less pronounced as I play more.

Last edited by Reincarnate; 04-4-2017 at 06:51 PM..
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote