View Single Post
Old 08-21-2016, 11:36 AM   #88
Wineandbread
Custom User Title
FFR Veteran

Default Re: The College Thread

For what it's worth, I easily think the second degree in stats is worth it with how employable statistics majors are (I honestly don't know much about the poli-sci market)

I can also vouch that your high school grades are almost entirely irrelevant to finding jobs/grad school. As long as they aren't really awful, the rest of your resume will make up the difference. Try to add internships, scholarships, TA/tutoring, clubs/activities, etc.

Don't be afraid of poking around campus-based job fairs to get a look at some internships/ask questions to companies/sectors you're interested in. Plus they give out free stuff if you go talk to them :O

As an example of how important connections are, I was acquainted with someone in college and when I was looking for jobs, I got an interview for Google for an entry-level software engineering position. This was literally only possible (at least imo) because he was working there at the time and I think he recommended me. My major is in materials science & engineering lmao, I knew barely anything about programming but I waltzed in there anyway.

I didn't end up getting the job, but the opportunity still presented itself. (I actually thought I did okay at the interview fwiw) Anecdotal ofc, I'm just reiterating what Xiz/hi19 had to say.

@Dossar not all capstone projects last 2 semesters

Enjoy college!
We climb up a lot of ladders, and fall down a lot of chutes.

Taking "all" oddjobs! PM me requests. Requests filled: 2 last active Mar. 6th, 2017

Keep it real pls. Will deny requests I cannot manage.

Wineandbread is offline   Reply With Quote