Old 08-21-2016, 12:22 AM   #84
Xiz
TWG Chaos
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Xiz
Default Re: The College Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayword45 View Post
OK so I am slightly high rn but I sincerely mean THANK YOU SO MUCH for taking the time to help my stressed ass out lol

Uh, can you please elaborate a little bit more on the importance of, like, EVERYTHING in regards to grad school applications? I know it's a long time away but I'm already beating myself up because in HS I was a straight C student (I went to UMass' favorite exam school (and it was a hellhole) so my 2.66 turned into a 3.7 lmao) and it's right now that I'm telling myself I need to get my GPA act together. FYI I WILL be trying my best because fuck I ain't wasting tens of thousands a year but now I'm hearing GPA doesn't matter for employers? It doesn't matter for grad school? Seriously I'm lost here :/

I can only speak on behalf of my experience, and what my friends have experienced. Forget highschool shit because you got into college and those literally dont matter anymore at all. Also your paying for college yourself, like me, which is a huge motivator in getting your shit together for school so good on ya. GPA doesn't matter for employers. All that matters is "Got a BA in ________". No company gives a shit if you have an A or D average. What they look at is what you DO or WANT to do with your degree, and its a fit for their company. People invest in motivations and desires, not whats on paper. A good example of this is the show 'shark tank' if you have ever seen it. Most of the time they invest in the person more then the company.

For grad school (at least for me) all that matters was that I HAD a BA. I showed the graduate admissions what I WANTED to do, and what I have done so far getting my degree and after. (Which for me was a few films). They did ask for my gpa, but I knew it didn't matter because they revived my academic transcript and 1 of my letters of recommendation after they accepted me lol. (Either way, in my undergrad I ended up with a 3.7 so it didnt matter)

Quote:
Well, I feel like I poorly articulated myself. This isn't about rush for me, it's more like spending an extra $10000-$30000 (goddamn fluctuating scholarships) to get a second degree in something somewhat more employable. Am I better off saving the money and sticking with my one degree? Should I take the financial risk for the two degrees?
This is a very, VERY smart approach to this. While in college you can still try to get more scholarships. Talk with professors or the dean of the department to see if you can. But before you do so, make sure they know your intentions and PROVE to them why you deserve that money. Do a study or project that in the end, the university will want to have your name as "notable alumni". And in regards to saving money or going for 2 degrees, thats not something I can answer for you. It depends on this:

Don't think about what you want to do in life.
Think about what problems you want to solve. More doors will open for you that way.

Then decide.

Quote:
Nah, I think I realize the importance of this now. I mean, fuck, I hate dealing with family drama bullshit, and I am elated at the prospect of freedom, but I already know that tears are gonna flow from all parties... Which I find kinda funny this is their third child to drop off lol
Let them have their moment. Trust me on this. As uncomfortable and cringy as it might be. (If anything, people will have more respect for you over it. They will consider you more mature. You will realize this in about 3-7 years)

Last edited by Xiz; 08-21-2016 at 12:24 AM..
Xiz is offline   Reply With Quote