View Single Post
Old 08-18-2016, 01:14 AM   #11
igotrhythm
Fractals!
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to igotrhythm
Default Re: How do you explain ffr/sm to friends who literally never think about rhythm gamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi19hi19 View Post
If you want to be entertaining, you have to explain how the game works as you play.
My go-to song is Etude for the Sinners, because you can explain during the intro that 1 arrow = 1 tap and everyone can follow it.
Then it gives you one jump to show that there can be 2 arrows at once.

Then it gives you the fucking wall of arrows JS (that's actually really easy to hit) and everyone's mind gets blown.
Having that kind of progression keeps things interesting. Also Etude for the Sinners is a nice song, nobody wants to hear fucking Serious Shit or whatever other buzz noise song you play.

The other obvious suggestion is to get good so that you can keep your combo.
Since nobody watching for the first time can follow any of the arrows, they tend to focus on the combo number which is the only thing on the screen not moving 9000 miles an hour.
Seeing combo go up = PogChamp
Breaking combo = ok not interested anymore

Watching someone full combo Etude for the Sinners is a whole lot more interesting than watching someone flail their way through RATO, even though RATO is harder and the score you get might be more impressive to an FFR player.

Similarly nobody has any concept of difficulty beyond "what you can combo" and "what you can't"
Thus whatever you play should be smooth JS charts because that's the highest "NPS to ease of comboing" pattern = most likely to be interesting

Also finally you have to not act & sound like a neckbearded ****** when you play. Even if you spend 9 hours a day every day playing arrow games and are super proud of how high the skillcap is in this game, try to curb your desire to talk about that and instead let people as you questions about the music and the community and stuff. That makes it more accessible.
You will hopefully get questions like "whats da hardest song" and stuff like that, then you can go play RATO.
Also people tend to ask if "Is XYZ popular artist in the game" and you can be like "no Kendrick Lamar is not in FFR, but I have this other similar game..." and then you can open up Stepmania and play bad pop music dumpfiles. A natural progression.
the hell

not even I can fc etude for the sinners

I get to maybe 1400 on a good run but I just run out of stamina
igotrhythm is offline   Reply With Quote