bmah
shots FIRED
Global Moderator, User Support, Judge
Global ModeratorFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: bmah's Crystal Photography

More stuff.

Mineral(s): Adamite
Origin: Ojuela Mine, Mapimí, Durango, Mexico

Adamite is an arsenic mineral - beautiful but poisonous. It is usually yellow, but the presence of manganese can turn the crystals pink/purple/magenta. In this case, manganoan adamite is at the tip of regular adamite crystals.

Mineral(s): Beryl var. Cesium Beryl var. Vorobyevite
Origin: Deo Darrah, Khash & Kuran Wa Munjan Districts, Badakhshan Province, Afghanistan

Visit my DeviantArt page for a full description of this mineral, but long story short: this is a new variety of beryl that has been recently contested by scientists in regards to its exact classification. It's not aquamarine. Just know that it's beryl with the rare earth element cesium present in its crystal structure. Sometimes vorobyevite forms strange layering like the crystals seen in this picture.

Mineral(s): Ludlamite
Origin: Santa Eulalia District, Chihuahua, Mexico

Ludlamite is a rather rare phosphate mineral. The crystals are characteristically bladed with an apple-green color.

Mineral(s): Colemanite
Origin: U.S. Borax Mine, Kramer Borate deposit, Boron, Kern Co., California, USA

Colemanite is a borate mineral that is often mined to make borax powder. You can typically find that powder in various household products such as baby powder.

Mineral(s): Azurite and Smithsonite
Origin: Touissit, Oriental Region, Morocco

Lustrous dark blue azurite crystals with milky white balls of smithsonite, sitting on a matrix of tan colored dolomite. There is also a bit of green malachite as well. The second picture is a close-up of some azurite.

Mineral(s): Gypsum var. Selenite
Origin: Willow Creek, Nanton, Alberta, Canada

A single crystal of gypsum, which happens to be only fluorescent in certain areas of the crystal. Some people call it an "hourglass" zone.

note: you can probably see this pic more easily with the smaller image featured here.
bmah is offline   Reply With Quote