View Single Post
Old 06-28-2016, 07:54 PM   #7
RagedBerserker
Hello Kitty
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: New Build, halp!

I actually just built my second PC this weekend. You can definitely go cheap with it. I previously went with an AMD cpu and a Radeon gpu and they rivaled higher end Intel cpus and Nvidia gpus.

I only recently made another PC because I decided to sell this one to a family member and make another with some extra money I had made. So, this time around I bought an Intel i7 6700 cpu, an ASUS GTX 970 gpu, a Samsung 250gb SSD, 1tb Seagate HDD, 16 gb RAM, a Z170 mobo, an aftermarket cpu fan (cooler master 212 evo) and 650W psu. Also, a full ATX tower case, which you do not necessarily need unless you know some of the items you are buying are massive. My previous computer was in a Mid-tower and it was fine, just a bit more cramped. This computer was not exactly bang for my buck-type build, just more of me not wanting to have to replace anything for a while unless it failed.

I think the first time around I saved a great amount of money for the perfomance as I took my time and found great deals and went with cheaper components. I probably spent about $650. If you buy an AMD processor (I had an FX8350) and even a Radeon gpu (new ones coming out later this year, so potential price drops for gpus all around) then you are already going to save a good amount of money. It can be argued the quality is worse, but from my experience my computer ran wonderfully for the 2 years I owned it.

Also, knowing what pieces are in your computer, how they go in and out of your case, and what the condition of your computer is, makes troubleshooting issues a bit easier. And then it also leaves the ability to replace certain components if they become outdated.

I'm just an old boy now

Last edited by RagedBerserker; 06-28-2016 at 07:55 PM..
RagedBerserker is offline   Reply With Quote