View Single Post
Old 06-7-2016, 04:24 AM   #198
Brilliant Dynamite Neon
nobody fiffers anymore.
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Brilliant Dynamite Neon Send a message via Yahoo to Brilliant Dynamite Neon
Default Re: What keeps you using 3.95?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jousway View Post
as for why the lag happens thats easy its lua
micro lagspikes are created by the smallest things, like when updating the score from AAA to AA which can be called resulting in a micro lagspike, oscarface and I have had conversations about these micro lagspikes many times, also a ton of themes use a ton of lua calling a ton of stuff from the engine making it heavier,
when I said that sm5 runs better than 3.9 its when I use my quadtest noteskin and my barebone theme compaired to the default 3.9 theme, because my theme has so little stuff its pretty light, same for ultralight, 3.9 uses so many images that it loads and put on the screen becasue there is no code to reuse just 1 image and change is slightly, like header is its own image for every single screen, like in 3.9 default is the basic fallback theme and is so bloated with so many unesesary files to redirect stuff to make stuff work, in sm5 we use the _fallback theme, a theme made for themes to be based on, and is light as hell becasue it has basicly no images aside from fonts and a few others like judgement also the stuff doesnt need to exist and we just use lua to make stuff we can reuse images with code and use quads instead making it a ton lighter, so while lua does make the game heavier it can also be used to make it lighter
That explains why I get better performance with Simply Love.

It's also probably worth mentioning that I recently tried out the 5.1 alpha build, with the entirely new noteskin and gamefield systems, and I ended up having to recalibrate my global offset because notes were consistently arriving early.

EDIT: Oh and I did see that last post Jousway, he just said before that he had played and heard from people on different setups, but apparently it doesn't hold true in all cases. Just being a doof as usual

Thanks for the memories, folks. u da bes

Last edited by Brilliant Dynamite Neon; 06-7-2016 at 04:29 AM..
Brilliant Dynamite Neon is offline   Reply With Quote