View Single Post
Old 08-23-2015, 08:08 PM   #255
dAnceguy117
new hand moves = dab
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: What's happening in here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthlight View Post
I might as well let you guys know there was a big discussion about this very thing today. I know someone out of Germany that already has a timing engine built in HTML5/Javascript. I am in the process of getting another dev meeting setup so that we can work towards a very early proof of concept. We would of course want to involve everyone as it moves forward.
Out of curiosity: what would be the ultimate goal of this project?

I would imagine that an HTML5/Javascript/what-have-you engine could be more stable for players; the current engines have proven to inhibit some players' ability to compete at a high level, seemingly due to certain hardware and operating systems not playing nice with Flash. Given your statement about the 99/1 issue of this site's recent focus, though, I would guess that high-level play isn't the primary concern here.

From what I understand, HTML5 is vastly more compatible with mobile web browsers than Flash. Is that a motivating factor? If the intent is to turn FFR into a viable game for phones and tablets, wouldn't a mobile app make more sense? Not to mention, I think most would agree that the input style of this game isn't particularly suited to touch screens.

Not sure if there's much purpose to my speculation, but it could be food for thought, I guess. Haha.

What aspects or effects of building an HTML5 engine do you (and others in the site's leadership) believe will help to improve the site and its community?