View Single Post
Old 07-18-2015, 07:50 AM   #3
Xayphon
sausage
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: Computer Programming - Advice/Help Please!

I'm not a computer science major, it's only a minor in my case, but I can explain to you how it went for me in the two programming courses I've had so far even though I was never interested in programming nor did not have any particular knowledge of any coding until last winter.

Last year around summer when I picked up my new major, the lecture I had the most respect for was Introduction to Software Engineering, which was pretty much a wrap up course into data structures, algorithmics, and an extremely fast paced introduction to Java. They say that once you know a high-level programming language, you can pick up a lot of other languages out there as well (which is true, looking at the open source code of FFR and how I'm somehow able to roughly get the key elements). If you've never heard of object-oriented programming and haven't done any "real" programming language (I wouldn't count HTML as one compared to Java or C), you will have to spend a lot of your free time practising programming for courses like this. Like, I know that some people are talented enough to simply go to classes and know every single thing that was mentioned in the lecture, but in my case I had to do so much revising, writing, and looking at code examples on Google in order to understand what was going on so I could even have a glimpse of a chance to pass the exam.

Continuing on so this doesn't get too long, I did pass the exam, only because I kept revising and doing some self-teaching. I really thought I'm getting the hang of this, until the programming internship this semester started.
Our task for our programming internship was to program a Terraria/2d minecraft clone in Java in groups of 5 (or so it was planned). Keep in mind I only just passed an exam about the BASICS of Java and programming. As a result, it was extremely rough, we did not get any help aside from a tutorial sitting where we presented our weekly milestones for the game, so all of it was mere self-studying.

What I learned is, that if you do not have the will power or endurance to sit through programming sessions where you never know whether they will take long or not, depending on how many errors you will get, or you are not willing to study for yourself, you are probably not going to get very far with your mentioned lazyness. You really have to pick up pace if you want to be good, and I'm pretty sure the competition out there is hardly on a "normal" level.

Short story aside, I cannot completely say for certain which program language to start with. The only advise I can give you is to not start with C or C++, as it requires a more deeper understand of how bits and bytes work inside your computer. What I would recommend (as a computer science minor who has never done anything big) is stepping into the same foot steps of my first lecture and start with Java. Or Python if you want an even "friendlier" language, your choice. You can look up dozens of programming language popularity graphs on the internet and you'll notice that both Java and Python are pretty high up together with all the C-languages.

Unfortunately though, I can't really say much about the use of languages like C, C++, or Java, you'd have to wait for someone more experienced to answer here or try your luck on Google again.

(Google is your very best friend as a beginner programmer btw)

This was only the programming side, there is probably lots of maths that you will be dealing with in College as well. I still hope this helps a bit

Last edited by Xayphon; 07-18-2015 at 07:58 AM..
Xayphon is offline   Reply With Quote