Old 05-28-2015, 10:10 PM   #260
Reach
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Reach Send a message via MSN to Reach
Default Re: Misc. progress thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDueler97 View Post
I think most people tend to have that one muscle group that just doesn't wanna grow. For me it's the chest. My father is actually built the same way. But I've been working my chest a bit harder lately. It seems like my arms have little to no problem growing though.

Also I can't do much to work my legs because of knee pain :c so I've done mostly upper body workouts.
Generally speaking though, it's a form problem, not that the 'muscle doesn't want to grow'. That's not really a thing. Muscles don't have minds of their own, you're just not activating them properly when you workout.

A legitimate problem would be a narrow frame and or bad pec insertions, which would make your chest appear to be small even if it was big. Not much you can do about bad insertions.

I had chest growth problems in my first year that are long gone now.

Tips:

Paused pressing motions. Paused bench. Paused everything, even your accessories. By pausing at the bottom of your pressing movements, you're forcing your body to activate the pecs. You'll find you're weak as hell on paused movements until your chest gets stronger.

Use wider grips for pressing motions. For flyes, use a larger ROM.

Push your chest out! I see a lot of guys doing cable flyes and other pressing motions with no chest, and their shoulders are rounded forward and chests caved in. First of all, that's bad posture, and second, your chest won't grow that way. Learn to keep your shoulders back, back straight, chest out. Good posture during all exercises.