View Single Post
Old 04-23-2015, 11:07 PM   #54
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Afrobean
Default Re: There WILL BE a new Guitar Hero and Rock Band this year

hi can i just say

I really like the design for the new Guitar Hero guitar controller. 3x2 frets instead of 5x1. It looks like complication of finger shapes is going to be going up, while the ridiculous stretches are going to either go down or stay the same. Cool. No more trouble hitting the first and fifth frets now, instead the trouble will come from hitting, say, 1A, 2B, and 3A at the same time. Even if the width of the total "fret board" is the same, having 3 keys instead of 5 would make each button a little wider within the same space, and thus making them easier to hit at least with regards to their lateral position. Am I making any sense?

I would rather games like Rock Band and Guitar Hero also support real instruments somehow (shame we can't just have Rock Band, Guitar Hero, and RockSmith melded together into a single platform), but this is a step in the right direction I think, at least as far as guitar "simulators" go. The only problem is compatibility with past charts and cross-compatibility. I know Rock Band is going to be compatible with past DLC, but Guitar Hero ain't gonna have that "problem", eh? And this Guitar Hero controller is going to have at least 6 buttons, yeah? And they're set up in a different way than ever before in this or Rock Band? Almost reminds me of Guitar Freak's 3 fret buttons, except better. Will we be able to use the Guitar Hero controller on Rock Band? Because we won't be able to play Guitar Hero with Rock Band gear anymore (although Guitar Freaks might be better simulated now? lol). I wonder, was that their goal in making that change? To make Rock Band hardware incompatible with Guitar Hero, but ensure Guitar Hero hardware still works with Rock Band? If the hardware is good, compatible with Rock Band, and mapping the 5 keys to those 6 buttons feels good, I'm willing to move over to Guitar Hero hardware, at least for the guitars. The charts for 5 keys might end up feeling really weird mapped to those 3x2 buttons instead of 5x1 though. Here's hoping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold stinger View Post
There's none of that moving up and down the board skill anymore with that kind of setup.
This is a completely different skill, but it's still a skill. Just think: there will be 6 buttons. That's a complication, not a simplification. Adding an extra button will raise the skill ceiling on this game and when some people can perfectly 100% songs when there's "only" 5 keys, I'd say that's a good thing. No, your sliding skills might be for naught now, but the new Guitar Hero game is trying to deliver something new. So it's ignoring a skill that was required for past games and making it require a new and different skill. They're taking elements of Rock Band's pro mode without going to the rididuclous extreme of having 100+ buttons on their controller like Rock Band did for their midi pro controller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charu View Post
Just ask KgZ

He works for the god damn company that made those games, lmao.

Of course if it's like any other company, probably is under a contract to not say anything.
I was teasing him about Rock Band 4 ever since he revealed he was working for Harmonix. He never said anything prior to the official announcement of RB4.

maybe he just doesn't like me tho ;~;