View Single Post
Old 03-23-2015, 09:33 PM   #193
rayword45
Local Teenage Wastebasket
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: Meh, let's do it again, this time for a year

Day 127: I Don't Like Shit, I Don't Go Outside by Earl Sweatshirt

Easily my most hyped album of March 2015, one of the best months ever for music this decade thus far. My expectations for this album are high, but I'm also positively biased towards the sweatman. Pretty concise album we're looking at, might listen to another after this.

Wiki? Dash? Na'Kel? Who the hell are these people? I'm not bolding them because they don't deserve to be bolded. Whoever they are, THEY SUCK. This is the exact same problem that plagued Doris. Earl is talented enough to carry his own, so why does he choose these awful, awful features?

From all other standpoints this album is pretty much on par with Doris. Wonderful lyricism with a lazy flow (and cry some more people, MF Doom gets zero disrespect for his monotonous spitting because his lyrics are quality) and dark, murky beats. Like Doris, this is a very nocturnal rap album, and a 30 minute length is pretty much perfect here.

Unfortunately, Earl prevents himself from greatness due to awful features, and a tendency to stick to the same tired Odd Future topics of daddy and bitches. He's not as willfully self-indulgent as Tyler and surely he's better than, say, Domo Genesis but Jesus Christ, nobody cares about your daddy issues, it was better when you rapped about your dead grandmother.

I think that once Earl gets the hell out of Odd Future and takes some time to think of new subject matter, he'll have a masterpiece on his hands. He already has the lyricism, flow and his own little niche for atmosphere. Just stop being so goddamn repetitive, and get more talented friends.

Best Track: DNA, in spite of that horrendous guest verse
Rating: 7/10

BEST AAAs: WANDERLUST, Pandora, Necropotence, Mourning The Lost, Eradication, Feldschlacht

Hey, we need some users on this site. Please join.

And if you have not recommended any albums yet, do so. Please. I have a goal to reach. Here.
NO WAIT THAT SHIT'S OLD GO HERE INSTEAD.
rayword45 is offline   Reply With Quote