View Single Post
Old 02-28-2015, 12:12 AM   #171
Silvuh
quit
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Default Re: Skill Rating & Leaderboards Discussion [Updated Feb 17]

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF_rules View Post
Will there be a change to how certain scores are easier to get points in compared to others?
Really, this seems totally reasonable to me. Skill rating is based on one's best "AAA-equivalent" scores, which is a function of PA and difficulty, but difficulty being based on the AAA means the two ideas are conflicting. Like, eight goods on ABCDEath is not the same as eight goods on Happy Happy Shining Star!! [Heavy].

If we really want to make skill ratings more accurate, we shouldn't shut this down without question just because official difficulties are based on the AAA, and that's that.

What if files were to have two difficulties, one for the AAA and one for PA?

So as your PA gets better, the difficulty that factors into your skill score goes on a curve from its PA difficulty to its AAA difficulty. Some files may be consistent enough that there's no difference, so we could just start with the ones that stand out to the community.

A harder example is Blue Rose and A Kidney Stone. Blue Rose has thirty fewer SDGs, but its rank 200 score is around 45 goods, and A Kidney Stone's is over 90 goods. One is harder to SDG and one is harder to PA. (My score on Blue Rose is better than my scores on most 79s, and I don't have the stamina for files like AKS.) I know a file's difficulty isn't just a function of its scores, but ... a file's difficulty curve kind of mostly is, I guess? If everyone's playing to their current potential, maybe, but I know that's an unreasonable assumption, so ... ugh.

I don't know. I mean, I understand that there are a lot of factors to this, so it's too tough to make it perfect, and it'd be more work, and you can't please everyone, anyway ... But it just doesn't feel right to not do anything about it, because it's easy to see how having one AAA-based difficulty would have issues when being scaled by scores past the AAA.