View Single Post
Old 02-13-2015, 09:17 PM   #59
stargroup100
behanjc & me are <3'ers
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music Producer

Default Re: What is arrogance/humility, what is bragging, is it bad, and why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoJaR View Post
except that laws are absolute, and arrogance is dependent on opinion. this is where you are getting confused.
You still need to explain what this has to do with anything. And either way this does not change the fact that we are discussing how to distinguish something, not generalizing.

Example: If I say "Most apples are red." this has nothing to do with how we determine whether or not an apple is red. We distinguish a red apple with a non-red apple by using our eyes, but this has no bearing on the statement "Most apples are red."

Example: Saying that most people don't have cancer does not help you in any way determine whether or not someone has cancer. If a patient comes in for a cancer test, you don't just say "Most people don't have cancer, so you definitely don't have cancer." We are discussing the test of arrogance, not generalizing statements about arrogance.

Quote:
way to be an asshole. congratulations, you are an asshole.
That depends on your perception. Just because I insult doesn't mean I'm an asshole, you'd have to take a poll of the people in this thread and get some probable mean values, find a distribution. Unless you do that, you can't prove I'm an asshole.

Quote:
read the definition of arrogance. read it twice. read it three times. read it until you understand it. it clearly might take a while.
Read my arguments. Read them twice. Read them three times. Read them until you understand them. It clearly might take a while.

Quote:
this is why you are missing everything. you cant see the forest for the trees. do you know what that means? i suspect you dont.
The idiot fruit doesn't fall too far from the idiot tree. Do you know what that means? I suspect you don't.

Quote:
you dont understand my argument, clearly.
I do. It's malformed and wrong.

Quote:
i think this is what you would call a red herring. i'm at work talking to my boss and i say 2+2=5. he understands my point, and nods, meanwhile you jump in and call me an idiot, because 2+2 is obviously 4.
This is one example of where I MIGHT be missing context. Our conversation is not one of those. But even if I was missing context, it's still difficult to justify 2+2 being 5.

Quote:
give me an example of the latter. you havent done that yet.
I play a game of chess with my friend. He crushes me and says he's better than me, rubbing it in my face and taunting me. I'm not insulted in the slightest. Is this arrogance?

If it is, you just contradicted your own position that it's based on perception. If it is not, then you just contradicted your own position that expressed high opinion of self is necessarily arrogance.

Both ways you're wrong.

Quote:
you can look at his strategy and appreciate it without comparing. try again.

nope! you havent demonstrated that a comparison is necessary, or even relevant. looking at a good strategy that you havent employed is, in a way, looking at someone better than you at something. all you get by comparing is which is better.
Go read up a definition of comparison. Read it once. Read it twice. Read it three times. Read it until you understand it. It clearly might take a while.

Quote:
really? because if what you're saying is true, you're aruging semantics and being an asshole, so maybe you dont belong here...
Really? If what you're saying is true, you're not having a rational discussion and being an idiot, so maybe you don't belong here...

This is why I'm trying to rationally address all of your fallacies. Because if I wanted to play the same game you're playing we don't get anywhere. You need to use logic and reason in order to make your arguments coherent so that the content of the arguments themselves can be examined. Instead, you resort to fallacy after fallacy and refuse to understand basic rational discourse.

Piano Etude Demon Fire sheet music

Last edited by stargroup100; 02-13-2015 at 09:25 PM..
stargroup100 is offline   Reply With Quote