View Single Post
Old 02-8-2015, 04:14 PM   #29
Garquillex
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Default Re: High-Level Thinker, Low-Level Student

My solution to this struggle took years, but is dishearteningly simple. It's a matter of habit.

You need habit or discipline to get excellence. If you don't have discipline, you need to develop your habits.

Developing something into a habit takes time, but it makes you automatically do things without consideration, which is an important thing to have when you lack discipline.

I probably attempted starting to exercise regularly about 10 times over the last 8 years. It wasn't until my last attempt that it stuck because I decided that, even if I didn't feel like it, or even if I was injured, I was gonna go sit on that exercise machine for just a short while, or I was just gonna do 3 pushups. Easy things that won't fail. Even the smallest steps bring you forward, and they will add up.

I do this for everything now. HTML, C++, tech skill in SSB, aim in FPS, and so on. Baby steps will make it easier for bigger steps. And as time goes on, more and more of those baby steps become bigger and bigger.

all the motivation in the world won't make up for not having habit or discipline. You may never have discipline, but you can still have habit.

Last edited by Garquillex; 02-8-2015 at 04:20 PM..
Garquillex is offline   Reply With Quote