Thread: Beginner coder
View Single Post
Old 11-1-2014, 07:52 PM   #1
Renevatia
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Default Beginner coder

Started like a month or so ago because I had to take a fortran class for chemistry. I quite like fortran now and I will probably use it for anything that has to do with computing/optimization.

The problem I have with fortran is so far it seems very standalone, for the lack of better words. It doesn't really interact with other programs, kind of just does its own things. Also, the version I use, fortran95, has no internal GUI library. So everything is CMD bound.

Is it a good idea to try to learn java(or if anyone has a better suggestion) and do fortran computation portion as subprocess and use java interface.

What I am trying to make is a simple calculation program where you put in some stats in each box, press some button(s) and it gives you a calculated number after some analysis with those numbers. I know it would probably be easier to write the whole thing in Java but I want to leave the computation parts to fortran, and actually know how to build something like this.

I did find an external library that can be accessed by fortran. Its called DISLIN but it looks kind of limiting. I also like java's capability to run very portably. Also, would running a subprocess in another code limit that portability?