View Single Post
Old 07-28-2014, 03:19 AM   #574
stargroup100
behanjc & me are <3'ers
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music Producer

Default Re: Dark Chancellor Pack 2 (ITS HAPPENING.GIF) Submissions Open

I had to just review GD's Magic first because I simply couldn't wait any longer to play it.

In comparison to porky's chart, it does a couple of minor things only marginally better. Almost everything that was approached differently in this chart was either just different (not better or worse) or actually just worse. Overall, I still have a pretty significant preference to porky's version.

The main reason being that porky's chart feels cleaner and "captures the song" better. The appeal in complextro tracks like this is and what makes them so intense and fun to listen to is the wide range of textures from rapidly switching between instruments/samples, and so it should make sense that the notes would follow the same idea. You want a range of different patterns and techniques, and in this sense I feel like porky's version is more successful. GD's chart, for instance, has very few jacks, if any at all, and porky's chart makes use of it to help contrast the other song sections/instruments. I also don't think GD's green color note theory is particularly effective here, because you almost want a rainbow-colored chart from the preceding description of the song, and GD's chart just seems to switch on and off between green notes/mines and regular notes, which feels sort of odd.

GD's chart isn't bad by any means (if porky's chart was never submitted I'd probably deem it Accepted), I just personally like porky's a lot more.

I just played porky's Magic v2. I THINK I like the old cut better, and I definitely like the old chart better. The old chart was cleaner, had better patterns, and stronger development. Honestly, minor tweaks to the original submission would've been just fine. I feel like all of this work and we're going backwards, which is exactly what I was afraid of LOL (borderline between Accepted and Pending)

Piano Etude Demon Fire sheet music

Last edited by stargroup100; 07-28-2014 at 03:26 AM..