View Single Post
Old 07-22-2014, 05:29 PM   #510
lurker
ur worst nitemare
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: Dark Chancellor Pack 2 (ITS HAPPENING.GIF) Submissions Open

i'm working on judging but i'm pretty slow

warning: sm5 counts the first measure of a file as m. 0, you will have to add 1 if you use 3.9/3.9+/3.95
trigger warning: autism

Akybyou Taisan - the minimal layering is pretty cool but some of the sounds that you stepped are too subtle
the intro makes very little sense (it's impossible to hear what the 32nds go to)
the jumps in m. 31 and m. 35 could easily be rearranged to fit the pitches better (as it is now the jump placement on m. 31 in particular seems kinda random)
pending

Amatias - i get how you use holds for piano/organ flourishes but a fair amount of them just don't work
for instance, the very first time you do this (m. 6) is overly long and the second one (m. 16) feels like an odd transition
i could go into more detail with these but a majority of them are held past the end of the flourish they go to
at m. 53 the sudden transition between layering and only stepping the guitar solo is kinda jarring, but acceptable
the previous measures (m. 51-2, first half of 53) need the layering to be interesting while adding the layering to the solo (second half of 53 and m. 54) would result in an out of place difficulty spike
i like a large amount of this file for general reasons
some of it makes me wish for a harder chart but that doesn't detract from this one
accept, fixing the holds would be nice but not terribly necessary

April.#02 - oh man this file feels awesome to play
i have an issue with the mine column at the beginning too; the times when you "break" the column with notes seem arbitrary
same issue pops up in m. 56-63 only without the mines- the leftmost column seems to be used arbitrarily
still, i don't think that much needs to be discussed about this file
accept

Bodom Beach Terror -
m. 4, last beat (and every similar measure afterwards): why is that pattern triple-triple-double? i hear no difference in instrumentation between the three beats
m. 15 (and the same measure in the second verse): there's a 24th note riff in the second two beats that you either completely ignored or misstepped, and i'm not happy with that. the cymbals get ignored too
m. 39, last eighth note: there is NO sound there other than some wobbling, why does that get a jump?
m. 43, last beat: i'm confused by this. there's a crash on-beat yet there's only one note, then the only thing notable about the offbeat is that the vocalist starts the first word of the chorus yet that gets a triple. i feel like these should both just be jumps
this file is pretty minimal for the most part which is fine, and i'm not seeing too many serious issues
however, i think repeating the verse and chorus is a bit excessive, and there's actually a bunch of interesting stuff that's getting ignored
pending

Catastophie - the piano chords during the two "choruses" definitely aren't accurately stepped; the grace notes are pretty much always before the 16th/8th/quarter/whatever but for some reason you switched from early grace notes to late ones VERY early in each chorus
m. 8, many similar measures: the strings are way too intense to be either ignored or just stepped as wandering 16th notes
m. 47, third beat: what are these 32nds supposed to be? if they're supposed to be the guitar that's a really bad idea, as it's hard to hear exactly what they're doing other than playing one note consistently. the drums are a lot more prominent and made me think you misstepped this beat reeeeally badly
the drums during some of the interlude-y sections make your layering seem really sloppy, and on a related note you shouldn't have stepped so much of the fade out
i like the song but i think a bunch of work needs to be done
pending but leaning towards a reject