View Single Post
Old 07-21-2014, 01:51 AM   #77
moches
FFR Player

Default Re: Untitled Stepmania Pack RELEASED

not this thread dying already COME ON

acid wolfpack - so this file has finally found a home, eh?? glad. very fun. some of the mine/freeze usage made me cream myself.

anger of yuyu - also very very fun. fast-paced, clean (save maybe some of the denser freeze usage, especially at the beginning) and covers a lot of different ideas very quickly. one pattern in particular (the alternating [1][2][1] and [2][1][2] in between [34] jumps) was so cool that i made a note to mention it here.

burgers out - simple and groovy. i approve. maybe the freezes at the end could have been organized so that they didn't feel so cluttered, but maybe that was the point? also would have gone with more emphasis on the percussion but that's always been a personal preference of mine. i think you do a great job of using simple patterns and motifs and adapting them to fit the music, which worked really well with this song in particular.

c-r-a-c-k-e-r j-a-c-k - NOO NOO NOO NOO NOO NOO NOO NOO NOO NOOOOOO. song may be awful but that part alone makes up for it. file itself is a blast, classic bmah file with deceptively complex rhythms and motifs that are streamlined yet complex enough to trip you up a first time, then a second, probably a third. will go back to this to AAA it.

catkin and teasel - played this already; stunning file. some might find a bit overlong but i love it - the off-kilter rhythms, the atmosphere where nothing is happening yet anything *could* happen, the pacing, the brief snatches of patterns that seem like one-offs but then reemerge in unexpected places like ships from fog. it's so easy with drum 'n bass to just dump some generic jump patterns and call it a day, but this shows so much thoughtfulness and love, and i love it not in the way where i could play it everyday but as a place i could maybe once in a while visit and that's maybe even better. fantastic work.

cock-ver10 - Valor is one of the best stepartists in the game right now; to appropriate Dan Harmon's words, this is a pizza file, which means that even if it's not going to revolutionize the world of stepcharting, it's never a bad time for pizza. really nifty patterns, intricate without underlining every single nuance in yellow highlighter (this was always a fault of mine so I'm very happy to see that other people aren't following in my footsteps), great for playing and scoring.

Cold Heart - shit. perfect for scoreboards - super hard and full of spots to trip you up and just the right length to replay. not my cuppa tea, personally, but I can't fault it for being really good at what it sets out to do.

Quatre Mains - OKAY I'M SORRY but I can only play so much IDM before my brain goes zonk let's do this. great song for stepping; i would have personally gone with lighter layering and taken some liberties with the patterns (esp with regards to jack theory - capturing some of the tensions in the 16th runs would have been nice) to match what felt like a very playful song to me, but other parts of your file -- where the polyrhythms run amok -- capture this really, really great chaotic sense of buildup. so i'm conflicted, to say the least. on the bright side, this is very very well-done technically and it's easy to see your stamp on it. nicely done.

run run run - you know how i feel about this file already. gr999

insane techniques - same tbh

creep - honestly my favorite part of this was the very beginning because of the tension. everybody knows where this song is eventually going to go (and that section of the file is stepped more-or-less faultlessly, so well done), but the beginning has this one rhythm and all of these subtle variations and exits and entrances. it's very very tense and good. one suggestion: there's a shift at the end of this song from electronic to live instrumentation - perhaps a shift in style could have captured that? maybe playing with different colored notes, using freezes (those cymbals at the end were BEGGING FOR some crazy layered freeze action) or mines...hmm. it was still a good ending, but it could have been explosive.

he's a mental giant - simple, fun, refreshing. would have patterned the raps a little differently (with jack theoremsss) but the absence of it here actually makes it feel like an easy old-school MA file, which is maybe a deliberate aesthetic choice or maybe not. either way, it's nice.

oriens - HAHAAA LIKE I WOULD WAIT LONGER THAN THIS TO PLAY THE OBLIGATORY GUNDAM-DOOD FILE. i'd say that this is perf and i love you, Pat but that's two things you already know. <3

fuse gymnast - file crashed on me thanks Obammisar

anyway now I have to head out !!! because I have, like, a life !!! but great job with this pack, guys, so far it's reminding me of RFpack only instead of 90% of the files being AAAA-bait 90% of the files are IDM dumps :P
moches is offline   Reply With Quote