Old 05-25-2014, 09:58 AM   #111
EzExZeRo7497
FFR Veteran

Default Re: An Album A Day Keeps The Doctor Away | 365 Album Challenge

May 25th, 2014
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
A Winged Victory For The Sullen by A Winged Victory For The Sullen
What a mouthful.

A Winged Victory For The Sullen is a collaboration between Stars of the Lid member Adam Wiltzie and Dustin O'Halloran. What seemed to be the end of an event (the last European tour for SotL) sparked a new project between the two members - which is A Winged Victory For The Sullen. AWVFTS is an ambient/modern classical project, and its self-titled album is their first album.

Right off the bat, strong resemblance to Stars of the Lid. I think that's to be expected though, as half of the project is from Stars of the Lid. It's wonderful, but the drone cuts short. A piano plays as its replacement. It plays the same chords over and over again, it's quite a depressing string of chords. I'm honestly unsure on what to think of the chords, they honestly make me feel... anxious. I'm quite sure I'm not supposed to feel that way, but I feel scared. It's almost as if something large is happening, but I'm not sure what. I feel like a small being watching a gigantic event with my very own eyes. The drones complimenting the piano both create a gigantic atmosphere but also comfort. It's hard to describe it, but it gives me this unusual combination of fear and serenity. I'm scared... but there's nothing there that would hurt me.

The next two tracks are more comforting. It feels like a modern classical version of And Their Refinement of the Decline, wonderful. My gripes (long-windedness) against that album don't apply here, since this is only two tracks anyway. This is music for people who wishes for inner peacefulness. This is music at the end of everything. I feel like I'm leaving my body, leaving only my consciousness. I feel like floating in Winged Victory's beautiful pure atmosphere. After floating around for a while, I see drops of water forming. They were my tears, I've been so adrift from myself that I forget that I could cry out of majesty. The piano does bring me back to my senses, which is a good thing because I don't want to indulge in too much of a good thing. It also gives some variation too, which is good. A problem I had with Refinement is the lack of variation.

All of these tracks are wonderful in their own little ways. Minuet for a Cheap Piano Number Two is mainly piano, but there's something special about it. It reminds me of a story of innocence and loss, with drones enhancing the mood. It goes on with its story for a while, but it never seems to be dull. It does feel rather lackluster in some moments, I can't help but feel mostly engaged with this track.

Oh man... this is incredibly visceral. I can subconsciously feel myself being torn apart with these instruments. I'm honestly bewildered. How could so little create so much? These are drones that I've heard before, and I usually dismiss them as trite. But for this instance, it's remarkable. Then I realise, it's the simplicity is what makes it so beautiful. This is very minimal for ambient standards, but that's what differentiates it from other ambient albums. You don't need overwhelming sound to drag you into their world, all you need is concord and serenity. These synths and pianos work wonderfully, even though they're so simple. They really create this melancholic yet beautiful atmosphere, maybe even sombre. It's not a very overwhelming feeling, in fact it's rather subtle. I feel that it's appropriate, as the sounds here are also quite subtle.

I zoned out a little at the sixth track, but I can still feel its presence. It's still a great experience even when you're doing something else. There's no one interrupting you and your work flow, as the music is blocking all of it. All you could hear are the innocent and dulcet tones of this album.

The negative aspects of the album? There aren't much, aside from the fact that it's kinda lackluster at points. Some tracks, such as All Farewells Are Sudden, don't quite have the same emotional punch as the other tracks. Though, they are still pleasant listens. The only problem is that they just don't leave much behind. The album as a whole though, is a little unmemorable, for the lack of a better word. I think that's because this is only my first listen, but I doubt it. Ambient like this isn't necessarily something that would leave a stain in your mind, but it's a pleasant surprise once you refind it. But enough about the flaws, this is a wonderful album. I would highly recommend it to anyone who's starting out on ambient and drone.

Ladies and gentlemen, we are floating in sadness.

Album Highlights: Requiem for the Static King Part Two, A Symphony Pathetique
Track Average Rating: 4/5
Overall Rating: 8/10
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

How It Should Sound Volume 1 and 2 by Damu The Fudgemunk (recommended by L.B.D.D)

Instrumental hip-hop, eh? Sure. Damu the Fudgemunk is an American instrumental hip-hop artist, though fairly unheard of. How It Should Sound is a compilation of 27 tracks that he has made, some even dating to 2003.

It's exactly what I expected it to be: a relaxing combination of hip-hop and soul/jazz. The beats are really nice - you could pretty much do anything and the music would still fit. I could see myself doing homework while listening to this. In fact, I'm doing it right now. Actually, the beats are quite engaging and mesmerising. They're pretty old-school, something you'd hear from the 90s. It's nice that it's quite rich in variation too, but I think it's inevitable with that many tracks in the album.

Quite the engaging listen throughout, even when I'm busy I could hear most of the tracks clearly. They feel very laid-back, which makes it easy to concentrate. These tracks aren't intrusive in any way, which is always a plus. This would mean that I could do my work at peace, without skipping tracks or anything similar. The sampling is spectacular, they seem to fit most of the moments in the album. Definitely a main factor to like about this album.

There's probably a little too many tracks here, too. 27 tracks might be a little too much for me to take in. Doesn't really help that these are instrumentals with no album concept whatsoever, which makes it hard to follow. I think my biggest gripe with the album is how most of these tunes is how little they really do. They're great and all, but they don't create anything else other than a smooth sound. Some of these tracks make up for it for having a catchier and smoother sound, like Straight From The Harp, but many others miss the mark. This problem is relatively minor however, since tracks like these are something I'd much rather play in the background. They're just not good to listen to and closely examine. The only exception would be You Know Who!, which almost resembles downtempo to me. It almost feels melancholic, but at the same time it sounds so beautiful. Everything about the track seems to work wonderfully. The slow kickdrum, the occasional piano loop, the background instrumentation, everything just clicks.

Not bad at all. None of the tracks here are bad, and the entire album feels fresh throughout. There are very few if any dull moments in the album, which is quite an accomplishment with so many tracks. Unfortunately, it doesn't faze me as much as I'd like it to. There's too many tracks here and too little substance. Regardless, the sound as a whole is quite smooth and slick. Would listen to it again if I'm in the mood for chillwave.

6.5/10 for Volume 1. 7/10 for Volume 2.

Album Highlights: Clap & Form Your Soul, Straight From The Harp, Gone With The Sunset, Boomerang Luck, You Know Who!
Track Average Rating: 3.35/5
Overall Rating: 7/10

Last edited by EzExZeRo7497; 05-29-2014 at 08:59 AM..
EzExZeRo7497 is offline   Reply With Quote