View Single Post
Old 05-2-2014, 06:01 AM   #976
dragon890x
☆Ξ Phantasy Star Legend Ξ☆
FFR Veteran

Default Re: Phantasy Star Online 2

To be honest, I understand where Izzy is coming from.

The Japanese version has one huge barrier, the region.
For those that have trouble understanding the language and are not in Japan, the game requires you to; rely on the 'unofficial' translation accuracy of others (use of translation programs were announced as illegal by Sega, and justifies the termination of your account), wait for information release, deal with extreme timezone changes, go through foreign payment processes, trust your account to a foreign company (Nexon is a good example of a company that after 4-5 years of service, banned foreign players), suffer damages by being unable to use their customer support systems, and have a hard time being able to relate to the majority of the player base (which is perhaps the most important aspect of them all).

I've played foreign MMORPGs for years, some being within the Japan region. It does hold a player back.

It requires an unbelievable amount of dedication. It often leads to a small, elitest foreign player base. Not only would one be limited to who they play with, but those they choose to play with might not be as enjoyable to be around than others which could be found in local games.

If you don't believe me, then think back at the lobby room that's full of weeaboos. I forget the lobby number. I specifically remember the FFR guild pointing out to never go there, and I wonder why.

The barrier affects one's understanding of their surroundings, and ultimately their reflexes for decision making. Those Japanese players who are being praised only seem like better players because they are in an environment that's familiar to them. The belief of Japanese players being better than American players is nothing more than a situational illusion.

This is the reason why I could never stick to foreign MMORPGs.
I always end up being left by myself in a world full of people I cannot fully relate to, or event make the attempt.

A North American release of PSO2 would be nice.
Sure, we all know that NA Sega wouldn't be able to hold their ground for long if they did. The game would be shut down in a few years.

However, it's a nice dream. Izzy isn't wrong.

[ Link ]

Last edited by dragon890x; 05-2-2014 at 06:05 AM..
dragon890x is offline   Reply With Quote