Old 02-4-2014, 09:14 PM   #61
Spenner
Forum User
Retired Staff

Send a message via MSN to Spenner Send a message via Skype™ to Spenner
Default Re: Freedom of Speech in Chit Chat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
People don't not want to talk about things because they are "controversial". That means nothing here. We would talk about killing and eating babies for food if there was some merit to it. Nobody wants to talk about religion because it is stupid and uninteresting.
Even I find religion fascinating, as a non believer. If you are really going to dwell on the fact that it might not be getting us anywhere and not bring up the majority of the content on this message board then I don't get why you're even mentioning it as a reason to not talk about it.

I always think it's a very interesting process to see someone quell existential anxiety and to have connections with things beyond the physical, whether or not they exist. It has an incredibly strong psychological impact on the person's life and probably for the person, can save them from depression and anxiety. Is it rational? Probably not. But that's why I find it interesting; the root of issues with anxiety is usually because someone is totally locked in on the direness of the fear, and the reality of it being a possibility. Sometimes we HAVE to distract ourselves from reality in order to rid of our natural responses to it. Death is a huge example of that. I do envy believers, and I'll admit a large portion of inner suffering would be eased with a strong spiritual backbone in my day to day life. It's not going to happen, but I know it's something that would be a fix for it (it's not like that's an easy thing to do. If I wanted to do it because of it's impact on my life, and not for reason as I gather things, then I'd be a believer).

Last edited by Spenner; 02-4-2014 at 09:18 PM..