View Single Post
Old 02-2-2014, 07:23 AM   #117
Cavernio
sunshine and rainbows
FFR Veteran

Default Re: My depersonalization over the last year

Nicotine's one of the most addicting drugs out there, at least when it's smoked. Or, in this thread I suppose I should say most psychologically addicting.

That term seems like a misnomer though, makes people think that the 'psychological addiction' isn't also a brain process. It, in fact, is, and it's what gets studied the most by researchers who look into addiction. Fun fact: ADHD drugs, if smoked or injected are highly addictive, it's just that when you take them as a pill the drug gets ingested more slowly and so it doesn't trigger the same addictive reaction.

The good thing about all this though is that, as we all know, psychological addiction can be overcome, which of course in turn rearranges or regrows whatever neuronal connections that got messed up.

In general, addictive substances are ones which strongly affect this 'psychological', craving part of your brain. Physiological dependence to a drug is something different, like when your body's regular functions start getting messed up because you're not longer high. Like excessive sweating, nausea etc

I like alcohol but I've never found drinking to be anymore addictive than any other bad habit I've had. Far less habit-forming than some things.

Hopefully the psychological part of your spice addiction won't be so bad.
Cavernio is offline   Reply With Quote