View Single Post
Old 08-24-2013, 11:59 PM   #70
SCWolf
༼ ͡◉ل͜ ͡◉༽ 👌
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to SCWolf Send a message via MSN to SCWolf Send a message via Skype™ to SCWolf
Default Re: What kind of phone do you have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
If it is framerate drops while in an app wouldn't that imply that the app isn't coded efficiently? The android OS itself seems really smooth.

The apps I run the most often are mxplayer, perfect viewer, music folder player and quickpic. I don't have any lag with those, but maybe the built in music player and gallery have a bunch of unneeded animations.

Edit: I notice some swiping lag in gallery and none in quickpic. Maybe you should try it out.
It's both the coding of the apps and Android itself.

I don't have an Android device anymore. I have no interest in them until I see what the new lineup looks like at the end of Q4 and the beginning of Q1.

Here's some older info on why Android is lagging behind.

"ex-Google intern Andrew Munn on his Google+ blog: 'Android was built to lag, and there’s little Google can do about it.'

Munn says it’s not just an academic difference, and explains how you “can see it for yourself.”

Grab your closest iPad or iPhone and open Safari. Start loading a complex web page like Facebook. Half way through loading, put your finger on the screen and move it around. All rendering instantly stops. The website will literally never load until you remove your finger. This is because the UI thread is intercepting all events and rendering the UI at real-time priority.

Do the same thing on an Android device, however, and…

…you’ll notice that the browser will attempt to both animate the page and render the HTML, and do an ‘ok’ job at both. On Android, this a case where an efficient dual core processor really helps, which is why the Galaxy S II is famous for its smoothness."

The only reason Android wasn't re-coded from the ground up when touch interface became incredibly popular is because they'd also need a completely new marketplace. NONE of the apps would work and would also have to be re-coded from scratch. Don't get me wrong, Google has done a good job with catching it up to where it SHOULD be. It's taken them YEARS, but they're finally getting there.

Last edited by SCWolf; 08-25-2013 at 12:09 AM..
SCWolf is offline   Reply With Quote