View Single Post
Old 07-17-2013, 01:54 PM   #21
Reach
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Reach Send a message via MSN to Reach
Default Re: What makes some people more able to time better than others at rhythm games?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavernio View Post
I thought timing was all cerebellum. The purkinje connections in the cerebellum are mind-bogglingly evenly spaced, something that would be absolutely necessary for keeping things even.
They are involved in keeping tempo. I left that part out to simplify the explanation

Especially because the cerebellum has so many different functions. It's obviously involved to a degree. I would expect SM players to have particularly developed portions of the cerebellum, but the Cerebellum does coordinate fluidity and quality of motion as I said before, and these functions are largely irrelevant and it could explain Arch0wl's anecdote (though to be fair, I question the validity of said anecdote. I highly doubt SM players are bad dancers. they're just untrained dancers)

The truth of the matter is that most of your brain would be activate while playing, for example, areas of the frontal lobe and areas involved with memory (hippocampus), along with many other motor pathways. I would expect, however, that the areas I mentioned would be lit up like a wild fire though on an MRI and would dominate most of the neural resources that go into being a good player.

Last edited by Reach; 07-17-2013 at 03:00 PM..
Reach is offline   Reply With Quote