View Single Post
Old 07-9-2013, 03:42 AM   #35
MinaciousGrace
FFR Player
D7 Elite Keysmasher

Default Re: Rift went F2P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choofers View Post

I've heard a few people say that Rift's end-game PvE is tougher and more interesting than WoW's. hi19 in particular was watching raid videos and liking the instance designs lol. I can only speak for T1-T3 (the three level 50 raids) because I quit raiding after Infernal Dawn, but they were legitimately some of the most fun I've had playing a video game.
yes and no, I think an argument could be made either way. Personally I think there is an illusion of difficulty mostly generated by the small pool skilled and motivated players from which to form a roster from. Mechanically and strategically speaking fights are far less demanding than WoW's current tier and most classes are in Rift are still 2-4 spam macros that require little or no attention to max dps, shifting the definition of "good players" from "can you do min/maxed dps while doing mechanics" to "literally can you press 2 buttons without having a clue what either of them do because your guild leader gave you macros and stare at your character's feet and not stand in shit at the same time".

Even still, I raided with CND and we finished out normal FT/EE around 5-6 months ago and then cleared out hard mode zaviel before quitting on hard mode prog because our roster just couldn't cut it. Now don't get me wrong I raided for 3 months or whatever it was and had a lot of fun but I think the game suffered from some bad end game raiding and fight design decisions. Specifically, forcing support/buff classes on your raid that nobody good wants to play, but actually require good players to get the most out of, and hard mode prog is just a fucking dumb fight. Meteor + purple circle + bouncing lightning = instantly dead unless your healers happen to have a cd up and react quickly enough. Not to mention it's completely random so 4 attempts in a row you can get chain fucked by dps just exploding halfway throughout the fight or it can not be an issue for 4 near-kill pulls. I mean it was probably just us having terrible fucking healers but we would chain wipe to people not shield swapping in the first place so we just said fuck it.

If I had to guess snakes on a planarite is trying to recruit and gear players for SL t2 because a lot of their previous roster has bled out of the game but idk.

tl;dr the game is aite and its probably as close to WoW as you can get without being WoW. I'm actually gonna log in and fuck around cuz im bored dunno if ur still around

e: apparently the new t2 10 man is out. Almost makes me want to play again.

ee: god logging in and looking at my gear makes me remember how fucking bad itemization in this game is. You automatically DE'd 1/3rd of your raid drops even during progression because crit is a fucking worthless stat. Seriously fucking what.

Last edited by MinaciousGrace; 07-9-2013 at 04:00 AM..
MinaciousGrace is offline   Reply With Quote