View Single Post
Old 06-18-2013, 01:56 PM   #258
foxfire667
The FFRchiver
Retired StaffFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: Beta Engine: R^3 [Updated 6/18/13]

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcnmx View Post
Eh, it's still probably not going to happen unless the community clamours hard for it though - I'd imagine it will be difficult changing the minds of many older players :P
Alright guys, let's all make a big noise about it and change the minds of the opposing community! Though majority rules probably really shouldn't influence something like this, unless legitimate reasons not sprung from bias or "because it's always been like that" are brought to the table (which really hammer terrible outcomes of adding 1.0+ rate scoring).

So far, some points brought up have been valid to raise, but giving them more thought seems to iron them out a bit.

- Though playing a song on a faster rate could potentially allow for certain patterns to be "cheated" easier than they are currently, it comes at the serious cost of trying to score well on the rest of the file. Considering that playing a difficult song on even 1.1/1.2x can vastly change the overall difficulty of the file (and even make those rolls too fast to hit) it evens out quite well. If someone AAA'd Skeletor on 1.3x, I think I would be happy to allow that to represent their 1.0 AAA.

- Forcing boredom as a game mechanic seems silly and discouraging for players actually trying to advance in the game.

- Mashing songs at a faster rate, as YoshL mentions, still means you are putting in the effort to hit the notes. Though it does raise the question of people exploiting it with special input sending keyboards or the usage or double setup, but that can be dealt with under the terms of rule breaking.