View Single Post
Old 02-14-2013, 12:11 PM   #207
arcnmx
nanodesu~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to arcnmx
Default Re: ~*The D3 Rivalry*~

Dunno, I guess most of it was identifying my weaknesses, getting comfortable with the engine, and playing like 100+ games a day >.>

Let's see...
First it was an inability to read charts properly. I'm used to DJMax/IIDX style games so I couldn't deal with the weird landscape screencut well. I found switching to R^2 (and later R^3) made the game taller, and a speedmod of 2.75ish felt the most comfortable to me. At that point I can just focus my eyes about 2/3rds down the screen from the arrows and read everything fine. Training myself to play in trance/autopilot once I'm comfortable like that helps a lot too.

Second weakness is a lack of stamina/speed, my fingers are just slow. Probably because I'm used to games with many more keys, I could get away with slow fingers since charted notes are more spread out among the others (or I'd supplement staircase-like patterns with wrist movement). So I generally fail at anything jack-heavy or really fast jumpstream, practice and training myself to hit earlier mainly helps that.

And most importantly my accuracy is a huge weakness since this whole game is based around it and I tend to play music games where timing doesn't really matter (and just to relax). It takes a lot of concentration to force myself to hit accurately.

So once I fixed my ability to read charts I could play about anything my fingers can keep up with, I guess that's why I tend to be better at slow but bursty things like October. The rest is really just finger training, which I'm still working on... I have to warm up for a good hour to be able to play half decently, or I'll drop like 400 goods and 50 misses on every song >.>

FMO AAAs (1): Within Life :: FGO AAAs (1): Einstein-Rosen Bridge
arcnmx is offline   Reply With Quote