View Single Post
Old 12-13-2012, 07:56 AM   #303
Nullifidian
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: Show your sketching!

Awesome, I really like the smokey green edges around the coins and tooth. I still have some remarks about the lighting though. I noticed you did a white rim of light at the bottom of her behind, but I don't see any of that back in the rest of her legs while I do see a green rim light. The star is brighter in value so it's weird that the green light dominates the brighter light of the staff. If the drop-off of the star's light is lower, then it makes no sense that her bottom is lit, but not the side of her leg or the side of her shoe which are closer in distance to the staff than her bottom. Same with her face. The face receives a bright white light from somewhere(?) but no green light from the tooth that is right by her face.

Another thing is the leg and arm that are in shadow. It's weird that the coins (which are behind that leg) still have details showing while the leg and arm don't. The star staff also appears to be in front of the leg (in world space, or at least side by side) but the leg does not have any lighting from this star staff.

One more thing I don't see that I mentioned in the previous post is ambient lighting. You still have shadows receding into black, but the top of her leg for example will receive lighting from the background (because the background is reflecting light as well) making it recede more into a pink/purple-ish shadow. Same with the jacket, the white ruffling, the round shapes on the belt etc. and especially the hair (since hair is not a thick mass, but thousands of small masses letting light through).

edit: also, the boot would reflect the coin in the front as well, not as a rim light but as a reflection on the front of the boot (since it's in front of the boot instead of next to the boot).