View Single Post
Old 11-30-2012, 09:58 PM   #38
EnR
Massive flaming dildos.
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to EnR Send a message via MSN to EnR
Default Re: Having a difficult time deciding what to do with my life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincarnate View Post
I admit I am ignorant about the car industry in terms of various positions and what they pay, but I was under the assumption that there were plenty of car jobs that pay decently well (esp if you work at, say, Ford)? Automotive engineering, etc.
There is I think one manufacturing plant in Canada. There is only one school that offers Automotive Engineering and they never even reply to my emails. After doing a bunch of research on becoming a mechanic I have come to the conclusion to stay far away from the field. Every forum I went on was just a bunch of 10-20 year experience mechanics telling people to find something else because they pay is bad, until you start getting experience you will be worthless in a shop because the more experienced mechanics will get all the jobs and you end up being the bitch. Mechanics basically cap around 50k after years and years of experience unless you work for a new car dealership. You're always on your back or bending over, reaching over etc, you're always dirty and most of them have bad backs early on. You also end up with thousands of dollars worth of tools, some people say they have 20k-50k worth of tools alone. To become a mechanic you have to complete the 1 or two year program in college then complete a 4 year apprenticeship making absolutely nothing (under 15 an hour). So you're basically working for 6 years to be a "certified mechanic". I could get a bachelors in 4...