View Single Post
Old 11-28-2012, 06:24 PM   #5063
Nullifidian
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: Queue/Batch Discussion Thread v2 (Submissions CLOSED)

Quote:
Originally Posted by megamon88 View Post
It really depends, but on an overall basis research shows that the presence of a reward decreases motivation by a significant amount. There were many other studies done after the original one. From Psychwiki:

"Meta-analyses and the Conclusion to the Controversies
With so many studies into the overjustification effect, meta-analyses of these studies were eventually done. In one significant meta-analysis in 1995, psychologists Tang and Hall sufficiently concluded that physical rewards which were made contingent upon completing an activity, did in fact undermine intrinsic interest in the activity.
Twenty-five years after Calder and Staw (1974) published their firsts doubts, another meta-analysis was performed in 1999 that confirmed that extrinsic motivation has a negative impact on intrinsic motivation. This meta-analysis is the work of Deci, Koestner, and Ryan (1999). It examined 128 carefully conducted experiments and found that tangible rewards do, indeed, greatly weaken intrinsic motivation.

Relevance for Everyday Life
The overjustification effect, as stated in Deci, Koestner, and Ryan’s meta-analysis, has significant consequences for many people. When control is placed on individuals by offering them incentives, the long term effect will be a loss in intrinsic motivation, accompanied by negative performance. This applies to classrooms, sports teams, as well as other environments. Should a reward be present, there is a risk of losing the enjoyment of the activity for itself."

I know it's not necessarily an "academic" source, but they do cite a lot of works on the page.
Ah yeah, it talks about extrinsic rewards that are a "given" just for completing a task (pay every month etc I would think). I can see why that diminishes intrinsic motivation because why motivate yourself when you're getting it anyway? I would think that that's a signal that that particular activity isn't giving you meaning because for me, money is an extra (and a means to pay the rent, buy food etc.), but the joy I get from recognition and meaning I find in what I'm doing for career is what makes me keep on doing it.