View Single Post
Old 09-29-2012, 05:14 PM   #45
dAnceguy117
new hand moves = dab
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: Are you going to vote?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNameGoesHere View Post
And/or if you had to pass some very basic intelligence and/or civics test in order to vote, and you had to pass the new test every election year. Something along the lines of you can do basic math, have basic reading comprehension down, don't outright fail simple logic, and have at least minimal understanding of US history and government.

The government could even offer free classes to teach people about any of these things, for disadvantaged people who wish to take some sort of initiative.
I don't think I like this idea. Virtually no one in the U.S. would fail such a test except those who didn't get an education past very early years. The vast majority of kids who either drop out or get kicked out of school come from lower class families and the like. Weeding people out of voting based largely on socioeconomic class seems like a big step in the wrong direction.

Wouldn't it be nice if public schooling were more effective? I believe that would have a much more positive influence on the country's political makeup.
dAnceguy117 is offline   Reply With Quote