View Single Post
Old 08-20-2012, 08:00 AM   #5
Cavernio
sunshine and rainbows
FFR Veteran

Default Re: The Fitness Thread

Oatmeal + fruit. Berries, bananas, peaches, mango, plums...pretty much anything but citrus I've put on hot cereal. If you hate it that much, put on like twice as much fruit as grain.
Or just oatmeal + milk
or oatmeal + yogurt
I think most people add plain old sugar to their oatmeal which is why they can eat it. I've certainly never eaten plain oatmeal.

I eat amaranth now instead of oats seeing as I can't have oats for being celiac. It takes longer to cook (than instant/quick cook oats you can put in the microwave but probably as long as regular oats) and has a very unique texture (meaning kinda gross if textures are one of those things you dislike about food). Also high in calcium apparently, which is good because I don't eat dairy either now. It tastes quite a bit different than oatmeal. Cook ratio 3/1 of water/amaranth. Bring to boil in a pot with the lid on then reduce to simmer, like how to cook rice. Make a pot to last all breakfasts for a week, takes second to reheat in microwave. Again, milk, yogurt and fruit make it tasty.
My parents would eat triticale instead of oatmeal. Also red river cereal (think that was largely bran?).
For more ricey-type whole grains, you coule try brown rice, millet or quinoa. When cooked properly these should be distinct, individual grains unlike the other cereals I mentioned, not porridge.

Lots of other whole grain alternatives to oats.

As high fat and high calorie as I cook, when my bf and I moved in, all his liver enzymes got way better, (err, except for one of them because he never drank alcohol before then. Not that he drinks a lot at all, and last blood test that one was back down again.) And he still doesn't have diabetes (he's been getting blood sugar tests for years).

edit: yet more whole grains that cook up as granules and not a mush that I forgot to mention: barley and kasha (also know as buckwheat or groats). Also, you might see couscous on the shelf in the same areas as all these, but it's a pasta disguised as a grain. Tasty and incredibly fast to cook, but probably not what you're looking for.

Last edited by Cavernio; 08-20-2012 at 09:05 AM..
Cavernio is offline   Reply With Quote