View Single Post
Old 05-12-2012, 11:12 PM   #29
qqwref
stepmania archaeologist
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: Songs of the Week (May 11, 2012)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iironiic View Post
Just played FOTBBv2 just to see the commotion... Although understepped, it is a great file for beginners/novice players. If Passage D [Light] isn't receiving this much dislike, I can't see why FOTBBv2 shouldn't either.
As the guy who stepped Passage D [Light] I actually see a lot of difference here. In FotBB, the main focus of the song is the infamously fast foreground melody, and the other part of the track is only really there to emphasize that melody. So when you have a chart that just steps the emphasis stuff, it feels empty and unnatural. On the other hand, Passage D is actually a slower, more relaxed-feeling song, and to me it feels more like there is a slow melody with fast and intricate DnB stuff added on top. The melody can stand on its own, and because of the relaxed feel of the song it doesn't feel wrong to just play the melody at its natural speed. In fact, I kinda find the file to be like playing the piano part in a duet, next to a drum virtuoso.

tl;dr: The part Silvuh stepped in FotBB v2 accentuates the main melody and doesn't really make sense without it; the part I stepped in Passage D [Light] is the main melody, and is a natural part of the song despite the super complex drum layered on top of it.
qqwref is offline   Reply With Quote