Old 04-9-2012, 08:30 PM   #17
UserNameGoesHere
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to UserNameGoesHere
Default Re: Hard drive crashed -- need advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by fido123 View Post
The root account by default is disabled in Ubuntu and Ubuntu variants. The proper command is 'sudo -i'. This goes for anything with sudo installed on it when root is disabled or you just want to avoid logging into root.

Also correct me if I'm wrong but I don't understand how this will help at all. All this will do is destroy his partition table, file-systems, and data. As far as I know it doesn't matter what garbage is on a hardrive, file-systems typically don't give a crap about anything they didn't write themselves.
'sudo -i' it is then Thank you for that. Basically whatever'll get you superuser on your machine.

And if you can somehow repair it, go for it. My instructions are under the assumption that all repair attempts end in failure and your only option is zero the disk and try installing "from scratch".

And Reincarnate, by all means take all of this into consideration/etc... And thank you fido123 for adding helpful information as well.

-edit-

As far as how it will help out, Windows may be choking up because of the data that's there being corrupted, yet still recognizable by Windows so it tries to use it, fails. Vs. if you zero it, Windows will see that as "blank hard disk data" won't be choking up on it. Windows does lots of stupid stuff sometimes (Like WindowsXP failing to install correctly if you have a card reader installed -- so you have to remove the card reader, install WindowsXP, then install the card reader, as one particular example)

Another example of stupid stuff Windows does. Move a file on Windows? .. it makes a new file, copies byte for byte, then marks the old for deletion. Vs. the more sane UNIX/Linux way of just moving a file pointer on disk if you move a file.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by UserNameGoesHere; 04-9-2012 at 08:40 PM..
UserNameGoesHere is offline   Reply With Quote