View Single Post
Old 03-18-2012, 07:45 AM   #580
hi19hi19
lol happy
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: Dragons Fury: Custom Tournament #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx{Midnight}xX View Post
PS: Hi19: You can no longer complain about system... You did the same thing, except the fact yours may be musically justified, but not logically justified. The trill chart is just a why the hell those transitions.
The patterns are clearly musically justified and, to me, they flow well. That's all the "logical justification" I need. What other justification are you looking for?

I am not sure what transitions you are referring to. Every single trill in the trill section of Theme of Payon save for two is right hand, left hand, or one-handed.
I deliberately tried to engineer the two places the trills cross to be as natural as possible. The first cross is a small, 4 note trill that did not seem to me like it would be an issue. The second cross is on the first very long 2323 trill and could definitely possibly throw people off. I tried to remedy this by using a 12323 introduction transition to reinforce that the hands have switched for that trill.
There is a single 1234 roll in the trills, but I hardly see that being a problem. It goes with a rising sound in the music.

Quote:
Let Me is just sheer what the hell. There's no reason for the hands
The hands go to the melody. There is no super technical layering reason for the hands, I used them because the melody is a very aggressive sound, simple as that.
It also helps even out the difficulty; that section would be very low NPS if I didn't use hands. It's true that I tend to put a greater emphasis on difficulty curve than many others do.

Quote:
and difficulty wise those jacks are more gross than system's anchors. (In my opinion that is. Take what you want from it.)
The long jacks are objectively easier in all respects for spread than the jacks in S.Y.S.T.E.M. This is not up for debate:

First of all, Let Me Hit It is 12 bpm slower. It is only 128 bpm.
Second of all, the longest jack in Let Me Hit It is shorter than the longest jack in S.Y.S.T.E.M.
Third of all, there are no jumps in the jacks.
Fourth of all, the transitions are better for spread. All the 4+ arrow jack transitions switch hands. Compare this to 44(34)44 anchors.
Fifth of all, all the long jacks have easy lead-outs and lead-ins, with the exception of a single 22221 ending transition that I was not terribly worried about.
There is literally no aspect of the long jacks that come close to the difficulty of the long jacks in S.Y.S.T.E.M.

The minijack section is definitely more a question of personal taste. I know you tend to not like minijacks as a rule, and I did include a number of 1-handed transitions in the minijacks.
I considered the difficulty of the rest of the file, and based on my experience, players of the level the file is directed at have a much easier time with minijack transitions than anchors.
So I initially wasn't worried. If other players are having trouble with the minijack transitions that's definitely feedback I'd like to get.
Note that I did try doing the minijacks in a pitch relevant manner, but that just led to lots of 443 332 221 patterns, which got old fast. So I went for variety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenAngel91 View Post
Ugh, sorry Hi19. I did really like almost all of the songs you gave us in your tournament, but I really don't like this song. Maybe it's because I need to go for a AAA but the file feels really repetitive, which while annoying might be fine if it stayed at an even level of difficulty, but it suddenly jumps into that really annoying roll into trill pattern you did in legend of zelda.

That pattern worked fine in zelda because that song was all crazy ridiculous polyrhythms, so it fit right in and didn't randomly spike the difficulty (though it was the hardest part for sure), but in this song it drives me insane due to how much it effects my nerves when I have to wait for it to come while sitting through the repetitive easy part.

Oh well, sorry again, maybe that pattern is actually easy and I just suck at it, but I guess I was just giving my opinion on it.

Edit: Forgot to mention, tip to anyone in d3 trying to nail the roll into trill part: If you hit the roll as a jumptrill then immediately transition into the trill it will be way easier, at least for me it was. Also you can hit the trill as a series of jumps if you think you're going to be off
I agree with this. The roll into trill is too much of a difficulty spike, especially coming from Mr. Cares a Lot About Difficulty Curve lol
I mainly stepped this file because I really like the song, and I sent it to DF on a whim. While it's by no means technically bad, it's definitely not one of my better files.
I was actually surprised that it was accepted for tournament use given its length and burst difficulty.
All I can suggest is to hit the trill as (12)(34)1414 but it seems you've already figured that out XD
Don't psyche yourself out too much, while they are clearly harder than the rest of the file the trills aren't THAT fast.

Last edited by hi19hi19; 03-18-2012 at 07:57 AM..