View Single Post
Old 02-5-2012, 11:06 PM   #1
noname219
FFR Wiki Admin
Wiki Administrator
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to noname219
Default So, I made a snowman this weekend...

...and it turned out pretty good I think :

Seriously, this snow sculpture was for the "Intercollégial de Sculpture sur neige de Rivière-du-Loup". It's 8 feet x 8 feet x 8 feet, featuring a breakdancer on a grand piano. It is completely made of snow. We had only 2½ days (from February 2nd to 5th) to work on this, we were very close on our deadline but we made it.
(btw, an intercollégial is like a contest between some colleges in Quebec)

So we were 16 teams (max 3 person by team) and we ranked 2nd out of 16th! Very happy about it since it was the first I actually sculpted something out of snow. Also won some money $$$.

I took some more pictures of the process on my shitty iPod Touch camera.

Starting out with a big block of snow. The first steps were : delimiting areas and "dégrossissage"-reducing-removing the biggest blocs of snow. Starting from the top.

Not me on the pictures btw, just my teammates.
The head starts to pop up.

Fastforward to the day after, huge progress done mainly on the head-neck area, hands and feet.

Another angle.

Working on the keys. Pretty delicate stuff.
We can work at every hour we want, it was 9PM I think on this photo.
But after sunset, the temperature dropped to -15 celsius, so working with those conditions was definitely harder than during the day.

More details, more details...

Final result from the back.

Looking under the piano. We had to make the legs wider than intended. The last thing we want is everything to fall apart, or worse, on somebody working under.

Details under the shoe.

From another angle.

We were also working with people passing around us, cars, children and everything. This angle was what we can see from the main street.

The notes.

Details.

Again.

This was our reference. Made out of clay, measuring 8x8x8 INCHES. Don't ask me how we've done the notes...

If your curious enough to see what we were against : http://www.infodimanche.com/index.asp?s=concours&id=89

Pretty legit stuff.
First place is team #5 (Équipe #5) Well done, they were more experienced than us tho.
Second place... #13
Third place is team #3 (Équipe #3) You definitely can't see everything on this picture, but the other side was easier to understand. (an accordion)

Also, I really thought team #10 was going to be in top 3, but apparently they didn't. Probably because they didn't respect the theme Fige le rythme - Freezes the pace (bad translation).
noname219 is offline   Reply With Quote