View Single Post
Old 01-28-2012, 11:44 AM   #44
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Default Re: right and wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavernio View Post
I figure this is off-topic enough to start another thread.

Quote from RubiedCross:
"Saying something is "Right" or "Wrong" is a completely SUBJECTIVE and OPINIONATED statement."

I disagree with this statement. Happiness is good. Hurt is bad. It is right to make people happy. It is wrong to hurt people. Every moral question should revolve around this, and therefore all subjectiveness revolving around right and wrong should come from differences in opinion regarding creating more happiness and less hurt.
People who measure morality in a different way than this are wrong unless someone convinces me otherwise.

Right and wrong ARE subjective and opinionated. Most will agree that hurt is bad and happiness is good, but only because this is typically defined by definition. The question is what's considered bad vs. what's considered good.

Not everyone will hold the same opinions. However, morality comes from societal optima. If we, for instance, didn't think killing was a big deal, we wouldn't be here. The societies that survive are the ones that adopt morals conducive to their existence and stability. In other words, natural selection.

It's not so easy as "what will create the most happiness and less hurt." This is like saying "It's easy to run a company -- just raise your revenues and lower your costs!"
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote