View Single Post
Old 11-27-2011, 11:56 PM   #17
Evnoir
_(:3」∠)_
FFR Veteran

Default Re: How good is your sense of rhythm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by subin View Post
Well done on your score! By the way, I'm a music major and I didn't get 100%. We all have fields in musical attributes we are stronger in. Looking at the students in my tutorials, there are some who have trouble singing a 'do' of any given scale, or have very little rhythmical sense. There are others who are perfect pitched, but have trouble identifying types of scales (various modes).

Personally, I'm quite strong with my ear, but I lack technical accuracy in my performance (hitting the correct notes). I'm strong with phrasing and stylistic performance. I am weaker in advanced chordal functions, and stronger in rhythmical, harmonic and melodic relationships.

Before I attended the university that I'm currently at, I also thought that music majors would surpass my expectations - that definitely wasn't the case. However, we are there because there are things we have an upper hand in, and that's what really counts - they aim to excel you in the fields you are good at. They do try to excel you in various other fields, such as rhythmic, harmonic and melodic (or even repertoire) dictations/excerpts, but like everything else, you'll find people in all parts of the spectrum.
Ah, I see. This has been very informative.
Just to prove your point, I referred this to my friend who is also a piano major (jazz piano / tenor sax double major) - absolutely sucked at this and got 68% lmao
Sometimes I wonder how my friend even got in knowing his highschool music grade were about average, but I guess he must have a certain trait that he excels in. Then again, my highschool senior jazz class was extremely difficult to score well on.

One of the hard tests went like this: the teacher would play an obscure inverted chord on the piano. Then, the teacher would say something like "2nd and 4th note", and the students would have to determine the interval between the 2nd and 4th note of that weird chord. The teacher would sometimes screw you over and play a chord with a bunch of minor 2nds or a bunch of tritones lmao

Edit: Yay, 500 posts

Last edited by Evnoir; 11-27-2011 at 11:59 PM..
Evnoir is offline   Reply With Quote