View Single Post
Old 07-16-2011, 09:19 PM   #195
~kitty~
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Default Re: What happens after we die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiten123 View Post
while this is all true, if we assume that current versions of the bible are too far from the original to be relevant to discussion then it obviously blows huge holes in the idea that the bible (or, at least what most people in the world read and call the bible) is from god/infallible and there is no need for discussion in the first place. for this reason, as long as everyone is aware of what you mentioned, it only really makes sense to discuss things as "what if..." the bible were pretty much the same as it originally was (tons of loosely connected desert fables passed down orally and not written down until several generations after).
I was just stating something, because we don't know for sure unless we read it in the original language and know its context. You may be right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ledwix View Post
Monotheists always say God exists outside of spacetime since he created it. So uh, this would bar him from having any emotional outbreaks at anything that happened during spacetime. Nothing could possibly be surprising to an all-powerful, all-knowing being. Being displeased with your creation is a sign of lack of omnipotence or just lack of omniscience. Overall, it means that God has failed in some way, which would contradict his theological nature of being perfect.

A being that transcends spacetime could not have delayed reactions to events happening, since he would see all events and know about all events as soon as he created or planned everything. Is a movie director surprised when he watches his own movie and there is a twist at the end? If he is, it is just for effect, not out of the genuine acquiring of new knowledge about the movie plot he himself created and designed specifically to happen in that order.
This is what I meant by one of my earlier posts. That kind of God can definitely not exist. You can also assume that existence of a being is impossible outside time and space, otherwise what would have defined the existence of God? There's never a when with God then, and even if he were not made of any type of matter and is outside of our understanding... the whole existing out of time wouldn't make sense unless we took away any human-like associations, then God is completely outside of our reach and would have no care for humans. I'm not sure if this makes any sense but I can't explain how I can say this. I mean, we base our existence on time and our emotions are also based on this, and pretty much everything else about us. How can some being show any "care" if they exist outside of this? Do you know what I'm saying?
~kitty~ is offline   Reply With Quote