Old 03-19-2011, 02:21 PM   #175
Vendetta21
Sectional Moderator
Sectional Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Vendetta21
Default Re: Drugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade_anime View Post
No, but it would be ill advised in my opinion. I would seriously ask a doctor. What WOULD be morally reprehensible would be to hand them out to your friends or sell them for profit.
Quote:
Adderall is reportedly widely used as a "study drug" at many universities. Adderall is reported to help focus energy and concentration to a much higher level than normal. It enables the user to focus and stay awake.[34] Stories of students writing papers continuously for an unusually long time, or "cramming" all night for an exam with no loss of energy or concentration are common. William Frankenberger, a psychology professor at the University of Wisconsin- Eau Claire, led a study at the university in 2004 that reported 14% of the campus had used some form of ADHD drug, including Adderall.[34] College campuses known to be highly competitive or have a high rate of binge drinking had up to 25% of students use an ADHD medication within one year, a survey of students at 119 colleges across the country concluded.[34] Other forms of ADHD medication used as a performance-enhancing drug include methylphenidate preparations, such as Ritalin and Concerta. Some over the counter drugs, such as Ephedrine, are also used.[35]
25% usage at competitive universities? Hmmmm. It's almost as if to be an accomplished member of society it can help to use these types of drugs. What happens to the morality of usage if it reaches a point where in order to remain competitive at some Universities you must use this performance enhancing study drug?

I mean it goes counter to your intuition here: people are using it in order to get a college degree, which is about bettering their life. And if there exists a degree where 80-90% of people use adderall to study for exams (maybe Engineering at a competitive school) it begins to throw your argument here into a sketchy area. Your problem with this type of drug is that you believe it ruins people's lives. In some cases it may better their life.

To submit that they must get a prescription for this drug means that they must, on top of college, be able to afford insurance that can cover multiple doctor visits and a prescription for the drug. This means that only a percentage of students can use this route because of financial restrictions. Since the drug is only needed in small quantities though, it is cheaper to buy a couple pills to prep for an examination rather than go through the expensive process of getting a prescription.

If I have a prescription because my family has good insurance and I am using it to study for a hard engineering exam, is it immoral to give it to my friend who does not have good insurance and is having an equally hard time completing the exam? Or do you really believe in making morality a thing that is wielded by your income class?

Last edited by Vendetta21; 03-19-2011 at 02:28 PM..
Vendetta21 is offline   Reply With Quote