View Single Post
Old 01-8-2011, 11:34 AM   #11
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Default Re: Bill Zeller Suicide Note

I already said this in the suicide thread, but imo it's both selfish to commit suicide, but just as selfish to expect someone to live under suffering.

There *are* problems with our counseling/medical systems. Patient/doctor confidentiality is truly thin. If there is a justifiable "duty to warn/protect" over things like suicidal/homicidial/abusive behavior, that confidentiality is toast whether you like it or not and suddenly a bunch of people will try to butt control into your life. This did not happen to me personally, but rather an acquaintance who went to uni counseling services (after working up the courage to get help) because she was an anorexic cutter. They ended up contacting parents, teachers, etc -- it completely sideblinded her. Had she been any more unstable, she would have probably taken her own life. I'm not even sure, to this day, if she's recovered properly.

So it can be quite hard for someone with trust issues to trust doctors when there's a good chance that trust will be nuked -- leaving decisions up to people who start to tread on areas you've carefully tried to keep under control.
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote