View Single Post
Old 01-4-2011, 04:50 PM   #30
ShAiOnEi
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to ShAiOnEi Send a message via Yahoo to ShAiOnEi
Default Re: "Male" games vs. "Female" games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavernio View Post
Totally agree Arch0wl. What I want to know, though, is why you women/girls DON'T find competition and winning as meaningful?
I am female, but I definitely feel like I fall on the male side when it comes to gaming. I was raised playing shmups and other quality Apple computer games (which I think we had hacked versions of?), and thanks to my older brother, had lots of exposure to them. I liked to win. These days I don't play many competitive games, although the main reasons for that is that now I'm old and slow, but the main reason is that the damned console controllers where all the GOOD competitive games are on, are unsuited to having a fingerless hand. (Giant xbox controllers are still giant and fail.) It also doesn't help that many competitive games have a single-player version that I don't want to bother playing (so I don't bother learning the controls well), and then I get my ass handed to me in online play. Furthermore, about the gender differences in spatiality (is that a word?), those could easily figure into why women gamers might find it harder to learn the games. Most competitive video games are based on spatial reasoning in someway or another, and if you're just bad at something (and bad at something where people like to rub it in your face that you suck), you're not likely to try that thing again. (Hell, this is why I don't play fps's anymore...I just have a steep learning curve. All that no-fingers crap is bullshit, I've overcome a million 'challenges' to having no fingers that if I really wanted to, I'd suck it up and learn to use a controller well if I wanted to.)
Anyways, I am a gamer, and I totally game (board and video) for the competition, and I feel that games are the perfect mediums to be a douche, because at the end of the day it doesn't matter. I don't want to pull all that competitiveness into real-life situations though, so I guess I do kinda get the non-competitive mentality.

My WoW main, uh, has over 9000, and, ummm, is a male character because ever since the advent of the internet I've hated being treated differently for being a girl.
I don't understand the no fingers statement there. Do you have fingers lol?

Anyways I kind of agree on arch0wl's personal theory on this because my girlfriend tends to like the facebook games such as farmville, millionaire city and harvest moon but what's also cool is she does sit down and play mmo's like runescape, FF 14. In that case she would also never lay her hands on an fps everytime I ask her if she wants to play black ops I get the same answers "oh I'm not good at that game, there is too much going on, I have a bad reaction time" what's funny though she can point out certain scenarios when watching me play online like people camping and the last stand perk that always pisses me off and empathizes with me which is kind of cool. I think she understands the game just isn't into it like I am.

Epic thread killer

Last edited by ShAiOnEi; 01-4-2011 at 05:07 PM..
ShAiOnEi is offline   Reply With Quote