View Single Post
Old 12-11-2010, 12:56 AM   #129
qqwref
stepmania archaeologist
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: Official Tier Point System Thread

I like iironiic's TP idea of making actual *tiers* with different songs per tier, and moving up when you can do well on the current songs. Mashing for TPs would be pretty much eliminated, because you wouldn't be able to move up if you have to mash the songs you have. There would be no point of non-FC requirements either, because by the time you unlock higher songs, you should be able to FC them. I suggest removing songs that are more than one tier below you, because at that point the easier songs should be trivial, and it's silly to consider them when determining skill.

The only real problem is that going from high 8s all the way up to high FGOs is a LOT of songs, and it's just crazy to make reqs for that many. I'd say the best way to solve this would be to only have some songs in the reqs - not the hardest 120 or whatever, but a selection of high8-low10, a selection of low10-low11, a selection of low11-low12, etc. This would let us get rid of some of the really annoying or hard-to-unlock songs too.

PS: The whole point of tiers is to determine who the best players are, and (more or less) in what order. It could be expanded to cater to players all the way down to casual people, but it would be a somewhat different thing once it is, and we have to decide whether we want to abandon something that only opens up when you become a good player.
qqwref is offline   Reply With Quote