View Single Post
Old 11-30-2010, 08:52 PM   #244
XCV
has nice tits
FFR Veteran

Default Re: How to get better at FFR

Alright, I'm going to swallow my nonexistent pride and post in this thread.

[I play ASKL, been thinking of moving to ASL; or QWOP, something a little easier on me.]
I read this for the first time about a month before I joined. I noticed "full combo a Very Challenging song."

I have kept this in my head for the past 2 years, and I've only done it once. And I found the lightdarkness engine a few hours after it went up, so it can't be because the site was down. The only reasonable cause is mental blocks. On like 3 separate occasions I have all but FC'd Silence, Kick Your A, whatever, and then my flexors suddenly quit because I realized I was going to FC a 10-footer. I've seen the don't-think-about-it technique, and it helps to a point, but it doesn't work completely; I've masked everything, and that helps a lot, but the mentality isn't there. And I've been trying to accomplish something that I'm perfectly capable of for about two months, nonstop. It took me about a month to get the basics of differential calculus completely figured out, to put it in perspective.

My speed is fine, my PA is decent, but my heart just isn't in it. That's the reason I quit competitive MK time trialing, right there. I don't want FFR to go the same way, since I'm perfectly interested in it. And to be honest, I spend every waking hour that I possibly can sitting in front of a computer, typing on a keyboard.

So, with regards to the psychological part of the game,

1.) Am I just trying too hard and being impatient?
2.) Or is there something I'm missing?

Help a moderately experienced player that feels like a noob out here.