View Single Post
Old 11-2-2010, 03:12 PM   #29
kommisar
Dark Chancellor
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music Producer

Send a message via AIM to kommisar Send a message via MSN to kommisar
Default Re: In this thread we talk about rhythm gaming histories

sharing where I came from

starting playing ddr in 2003, I had always thought of the game as a girl's game. Cuz who da fuc would play a rhythm game that involved dancing? HAH. Well I played it anyways. Feeling confident that I was good, passing 9's on ddrmax, I looked up videos online of other people playing. DDRfreak.com had a video of the first max 300 pass in america. Corey had an A on a song that I considered nearly impossible. It couldn't just end there, so I kept playing.

Later on in 2003, word of FFR had spread all over. I never bothered to sign up or join the forums since our group of friends just went on to play the actual game. I eventually did sign up to keep track of my rank and stuff in june 2005.

Stepmania was introduced to me through a friend at a lan center in 2004. At the time, it was just some other ddr simulator like dwi, only more appealing. They bragged that you could play two players through lan (who would've thought smo would revolutionize this). The only files everyone would have were arch's kbmp and whatever you could download on ffr. They were mostly considered complete bs and impossible. Trying to pass Exige's Hot Pepperz file was like listening to stevie wonder read the bible.

2005 came around and stepmania online was born. This is when, imo, stepmania was at the peak of its activity. Out of smo came smgroove, lead by DJ Ossa and jesushaxyou. This was the beginning of pure simfile elitism. ODI had close ties with smg and contributed to each others' simfile packs. The best simfile artists in the community hung out around odi and smg, until the latter died from a retarded admin.

smo was eventually raided by the new odi community. the site had been ruined and the only thing left from the forums were a few boards for bugs and such. everything else had been closed off and only re-opened a year later.

Next came red fraction in 2007. The site was founded by Rebirth who wanted to start a new community similar to smgroove's tight-knit simfile making group. The first red fraction stepmania pack was a great success and generated lots of activity. After ODI had decided they would no longer make stepmania packs, red fraction had any remaining activity regarding simfile making. Red fraction 2 pack was in production (as an invite only pack) but was soon brought to a close when rebirth stopped caring about the pack and the site as a whole.

From the remains of the red fraction 2 pack, Dew opened up his own forum to complete the project. These forums were unofficially known as the smg3 forums, later known as the Dark Chancellors forums. These forums were private and invited only the best simfile artists since the start of stepmania. Few were actually involved with the project (30 out of 100) but was eventually completed and hailed as one of the greatest modern stepmania packs of all time. Later came the Dark Chancellors Mystery pack, which was not as successful and marked the beginning of inactivity within the forums. A second dark chancellor pack was started, but barely anything was submitted.

Puppet decided to pick up the dcp2 pack and start the 3rd ffr community pack. this was just before ffr came crashing down for its year of downtime. Any remaining files from dcp2/ffrcp3 went on to Xoon pack 5. Bluexoon was a product of all the people remaining of smo/smg/rf who still played stepmania. Noon, the founder of bluexoon, had made his own xoon packs before I took over to make the 3rd and 4th ones. Rebirth then came back out of nowhere to help create xoon 5, another pack along the lines of dcp and the odi packs. The pack came out with great success. Plans of creating xoon 6 were discussed, but never actually took off.

The dark chancellors forums were completely dead. A new group of simfile artists was then born. It was to assemble the new age/old simfile artists into one big elitist circlejerk. The Light Chancellors board had been created on bluexoon. Having done 2 very successful packs to date, the Light Chancellors are the last remaining elitist stepmania simfile group.